Years ago when the DNS challenge was originally implemented in Caddy, compatibility with each DNS provider had to be a plugin, but that’s no longer the case.
We have the option of making all of lego’s ~50 DNS providers just work for all Caddy instances without needing special builds of Caddy.
Doing this will approximately double Caddy’s binary size from ~19 MB to ~40 MB.
Advantages of eliminating DNS provider plugins
- No need for custom builds just to support the DNS challenge
- Less maintenance required
- More immediate support for Lego’s DNS providers without needing to keep our own repo in sync (this is a bit of a burden, tbh, since I also have to deploy them on the caddyserver.com site and for every new provider, it becomes more tedious…)
- Much larger binary size (about 2x current size without plugins)
Worth it? (i.e. “Eliminate DNS provider plugins?”)
- Yes (no more DNS provider plugins! large binary size OK)
- No (keep binaries as small as possible)
If you feel strongly, please discuss!