Caddy Lab / Setup Examples

The intent of this thread is to provide step-by-step examples and helpful notes on setting up the Caddy server for a number of common scenarios.

While the Caddy documentation is excellent, there are also a lot of moving parts required to get Caddy working that are not Caddy, and unless you have a lot of experience you may not know how to put all the pieces together.

Less experienced users may not know what they don’t know, and overlook important points or not understand the significance of items until they encounter a problem. Once they encounter the problem they may not even know what to look for. This can make integrating Caddy (or any other web server for that matter) into a system very frustrating.

My goal is to highlight the steps necessary set up a number of Caddy scenarios and to provide references or at least enough information to know what to search for.

I am brand new to caddy and will be setting up a number of labs that should be of use to small business/home users. As I go though I will document all the steps and include notes / references.

I will make note of problems as I encounter them, and hope that the community will help me solve them, or suggest references so that I can document them. If there are important things that need to be considered (especially security) please let me know so that I can make the write-up more complete. As things come toghether I will periodically refactor the information and edit this post.

RESERVED FOR FUTURE USE

1 Like

Prerequisites

1. Set up a server or VPS and obtain the IP address - For this example I will be using a VPS on the Oracle Cloud with IP Address 132.145.103.78

2. Register Domain(s) and point the A (and/or AAAA) record for your domain(s) at your server.at the server. [Most users will use the control panel at the website where they registered their domain and should be able to find infomation at the registrar’s web site.]

3. If your environment has a restrictive firewall, then make sure that you can reach your sever and the server can reach the internet. You will normally need at least ports 22 (SSH), 80 (HTTP) and 433 (HTTPS) open. If you are running an app that needs other ports, then you will need to open those as well.

4. For ease of access to the server I will set up an entry in the $HOME/.ssh/conf file on my work station to make logging in to the server easier. Without this step it is necessary to include a username, host name or IP, and supply a password or point to an SSH key file. Once this is done ssh logins and running SCP or other operations over SSH becomes very easy. For this tutorial, the .ssh/config file looks like this:

Host caddytest
     HostName       132.145.103.78
     User           ubuntu
     Port           22
     IdentityFile   ~/.ssh/myserverkey
     PubkeyAuthentication yes

It includes the server IP Address (or you could use a hostname), the user id, the port to be used, and the private key to use for logging in (the public key has been previously copied to the server).

For security reasons, it is a best practice not to allow password login to your server and use SSH keys for authentication.

From this point on I will be able to log into the server with the command

ssh caddytest

Procedure

1. I will be using a new minimal ubuntu 20.04 vps, so the first step is to update the server, and install/upgrade packages:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    # Almost no utilities are included in the minimal install
    sudo apt install iputils-ping  
    sudo apt install less
    sudo apt install vim     # Text editor - Install whatever editor you like best   
  1. The VPS I am using comes with an iptables firewall with only port 22 open. Ports 80 / 443 must be opened on the firewall for Caddy to function. For an IPTABLE firewall the following commands will open ports 80/443 - note the 6 is the position in the list where the command is inserted.
    sudo iptables -I INPUT 6 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -I INPUT 6 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
    *** INCOMPLETE - MUST MAKE CHANGES PERSISTENT SO THEY SURVIVE A SERVER REBOOT
    The changes can be verified with the following command:
    $ sudo iptables -L -n
   Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
   target     prot opt source               destination         
   ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
   ACCEPT     icmp --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
   ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
   ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp spt:123
   ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW tcp dpt:22
   ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW tcp dpt:80
   ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW tcp dpt:443
   REJECT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
  1. Install Caddy - Follow the steps provided at ( Install — Caddy Documentation ). I used the install for Ubuntu ( Install — Caddy Documentation ). Since this code will change over time use the links above instead of pasting the code below.
sudo apt install -y debian-keyring debian-archive-keyring apt-transport-https
curl -1sLf 'https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/caddy/stable/gpg.key' | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/caddy-stable.asc
curl -1sLf 'https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/caddy/stable/debian.deb.txt' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/caddy-stable.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install caddy
  1. Once the install is complete Caddy should be up and running. A good way to verify this and possibly detect some unexpected problem is to look at the logs.

journalctl -u caddy

May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 systemd[1]: Starting Caddy...
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.HomeDir=/var/lib/caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.AppDataDir=/var/lib/caddy/.local/share/caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.AppConfigDir=/var/lib/caddy/.config/caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.ConfigAutosavePath=/var/lib/caddy/.config/caddy/autosave.json
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.Version=v2.5.1 h1:bAWwslD1jNeCzDa+jDCNwb8M3UJ2tPa8UZFFzPVmGKs=
[ Removed for clarity.... ]

The recommended install runs caddy as a service, and the commands for starting, stopping and viewing your logs are all clearly documented here: Keep Caddy Running — Caddy Documentation

Note: The systemctl command feeds it’s output to a ‘less -S’ command. The arrow keys will allow you to scroll horizontally across long lines. If you need to cut and paste the output of these commands, you must type “-S” to cause long lines to fold so they can be copied to the clipboard. Typing ‘-S’ again will return the output to the normal “Chop long lines” mode.

1. The standard install includes a sample Caddyfile at /etc/caddy/Caddyfile
# The Caddyfile is an easy way to configure your Caddy web server.
#
# Unless the file starts with a global options block, the first
# uncommented line is always the address of your site.
#
# To use your own domain name (with automatic HTTPS), first make
# sure your domain's A/AAAA DNS records are properly pointed to
# this machine's public IP, then replace ":80" below with your
# domain name.

:80 {
        # Set this path to your site's directory.
        root * /usr/share/caddy

# Enable the static file server.
        file_server

# Another common task is to set up a reverse proxy:
        # reverse_proxy localhost:8080

# Or serve a PHP site through php-fpm:
        # php_fastcgi localhost:9000
}

# Refer to the Caddy docs for more information:
# https://caddyserver.com/docs/caddyfile
~                                         

This will serve a simple congratulations page on port 80 if everything is working. This can be verified by visiting http://132.145.103.78/ (use the IP address of your server) with a web browser.

TO BE CONTINUED

Anything below here may be reoved later as I add to this tutorial.
Can someone tell me a quick way to test HTTPS before connecting a domain?
Feedback/corrections welcome.

I added this to the Caddyfile in an attempt to test HTTPS

:443 {
        tls internal
        root * /usr/share/caddy

file_server
}

And got this as a result.

$ curl https://132.145.103.78/
curl: (35) error:14094438:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert internal error
$ #curl --insecure -I https://132.145.103.78/
$ curl -v --insecure -I https://132.145.103.78/
*   Trying 132.145.103.78:443...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to 132.145.103.78 (132.145.103.78) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
*   CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
  CApath: /etc/ssl/certs
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS alert, internal error (592):
* error:14094438:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert internal error
* Closing connection 0
curl: (35) error:14094438:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert internal error

I also tried with a web browser and expected a certificate validity error that I could bypass, but no luck. How can test TLS before setting up a domain. Just a test, not for production.

Please just link to, don’t copy the instructions. Copying means your post no longer stays evergreen, if we need to change the recommended instructions for whatever reason (it’s happened many times).

Keep in mind that this command truncates the logs that Caddy emits (see the > at the end of each line), so it’s often not very useful.

See Keep Caddy Running — Caddy Documentation which has the recommended command for looking at your logs.

You didn’t actually tell Caddy which domain to use, so it can’t make a certificate for you.

You can use on_demand which would make Caddy issue a cert on-the-fly with the domain in the request if it doesn’t have one. But be very careful when using this feature in production.

1 Like

@francislavoie] thanks very much for your feedback I’ve incorporated it into my original post.

This exercise has been quite educational… never had to deeply interact with systemctl (just start/stop some service occasionally), and what I learned is that it isn’t systemctl (at least on my Ubuntu based systems) that is truncating long lines, it is less. Systemctl effectively pipes to a less -S internally --the less commands I tried all work on the output of systemctl! If you type -S when using the recommended method for viewing logs { … | less +G) , it will truncate the long lines exactly the same way as systemctl normally does.

I agree with what you are saying 100%, my issue is I want to be able to test that I don’t have any firewall or issues using port 443 before I introduce Let’s Encrypt. I dont control the infrastructure, so I want to know how to test every link in the chain.

IIUC it is possible (if you self-sign/make your own CA) to issue certificates that use an IP address. I was reading some stuff about HAPROXY (I think on the pfSense forum) and the discussion was about running encrypted services behind HAPROXY and linking to intermal servers.

This would be very handy for a lot of back end situations that were not internet facing but where encryption between services is desirable. This it may be beyond what Caddy can do (at this time). @matt any comments?

@francislavoie or anyone else have any suggestions?

Yeah, basically. But there’s no better, easy, one-liner command I could find that would just do it correctly without piping back into less without the -S option. I hate journalctl’s CLI interface. It’s so, so bad. You can do SYSTEMD_LESS=FRXMK journalctl -eu caddy which overrides the options passed to less to not have S, but explaining or remembering that is ridiculous.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I did suggest a way to do it without Let’s Encrypt.

You just never told Caddy which domain for which to issue certs for. If you just put :443 as your site address, Caddy has absolutely no information about what domains it might serve.

Either you need to configure Caddy with a site address that does have a domain/ip so that Caddy has something to issue, or use on_demand to make the issuance happen on-the-fly, during the TLS handshake.

Thanks again for the quick reply

I guess that’s a preference/application thing. – again depending on what I am looking at/for… if I can identify which line I want, or even if I know what to search for with /(string), then I have no problem with the default. I don’t know if I succeed in explaining it in my example… either way choice is better than no choice.

I’m going to circle back on this and try what you suggested for completeness.

After many hours of messing around with it, I finally found a connectivity problem… some Oracle could situation I’m having difficulty figuring out exactly how I fixed the problem well enough to document. For now I’m going to push forward with Caddy, and I’ll eventually go back and try to make a small piece on Oracle Cloud connectivity.

I hooked up a domain and it actually worked as described! I’d like to post my logs for comment/to explain what to look for, but before I do – what do I need to redact (if anything) so I don’t open up the site to hacking?

Next step is to demonstrate php – can you guide me as to which package a person would want for a typical WordPress install on Ubuntu?

I have a problem with the default, as someone who answers questions on the forums. Lots of users post truncated logs, which are entirely useless because they miss the important bits at the end, where the message typically ends up being, causing a bunch of extra back-and-forth to get on the same page.

Caddy avoids logging secrets, so probably nothing. Obviously give it a quick scan yourself if you spot anything you care about.

Just google “install php-fpm on ubuntu” and I’m sure you’ll find what you need. Then you just configure Caddy with php_fastcgi to connect to php-fpm, and that’s pretty much it.

A post was split to a new topic: Caddy + Cloudflare tunnel

A post was merged into an existing topic: Caddy + Cloudflare tunnel

@francislavoie I’ve got to say from what I’ve seen so far this is one of the best run foss software forums I have seen – you are really on top of things! Can you please move my “Thank You” post to Caddy + Cloudflare tunnel along with the post that you moved. – Thanks.

I understand completely - FYI typing ‘s’ in the default systemctl CLI gives a prompt ‘log file:’. Entering a path/file will save the command output untruncated.

Is there a good way to handle log files? They are beautifully structured for machine reading but there is unstructured text that causes jq to error out. The lines are so long that it’s really hard to read.

After sorting out the firewall issues and getting the domain working I tried to get the following to work without success:

:80   {                                                                         
    root * /usr/share/caddy                                                     
    file_server                                                                 
}                                                                               

:443   {                                                                        
    tls internal
    root * /usr/share/caddy                                                     
    file_server                                                                 
}    

http:// port 80 failed

$ curl -v --insecure -I http://132.145.103.78/
*   Trying 132.145.103.78:80...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to 132.145.103.78 (132.145.103.78) port 80 (#0)
> HEAD / HTTP/1.1
> Host: 132.145.103.78
> User-Agent: curl/7.68.0
> Accept: */*
> 
* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
< HTTP/1.1 308 Permanent Redirect
HTTP/1.1 308 Permanent Redirect
< Connection: close
Connection: close
< Location: https://132.145.103.78/
< Server: Caddy
Server: Caddy
< Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 10:14:30 GMT
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 10:14:30 GMT
< 
* Closing connection 0

And so dit port 443:

* TCP_NODELAY set
* ALPN, offering h2
* Closing connection 0

Any ideas?

@francislavoie The forum won’t let me edit/add to my initial post - too old / can’t edit or delete.

I tried to add the following:

1. When Caddy is configured to use a domain, https is served by default. For this example, I have registered the domain *caddytest.cf". To make sure that the DNS has propagated and that an A record has been properly configured the dig command can be run on the server:
    dig caddytest.cf A
; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> caddytest.cf
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10382
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;caddytest.cf.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
caddytest.cf.		300	IN	A	132.145.103.78

;; Query time: 144 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53)
;; WHEN: Tue May 10 08:40:19 UTC 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 57

The line caddytest.cf. 300 IN A 132.145.103.78 confirms that the DNS has been correctly configured and has propagated.

1. To make Caddy serve the domain, all that is necessary is to change the line :80 { to caddytest.cf: { and to reload Caddy with ‘sudo systemctl reload caddy
    Visiting https://caddytest.cf/ should cause the Caddy “Congratulations” page to be displayed.
    The command sudo journalctl -u caddy should display a log file. If you are having problems it is the first place to look for answers. Examining the log is also a good way to find the location of important directories used by Caddy.
-- Logs begin at Sun 2022-05-08 20:05:38 UTC, end at Mon 2022-05-09 21:58:17 UTC. --
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 systemd[1]: Starting Caddy...
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.HomeDir=/var/lib/caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.AppDataDir=/var/lib/caddy/.local/share/caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.AppConfigDir=/var/lib/caddy/.config/caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.ConfigAutosavePath=/var/lib/caddy/.config/caddy/autosave.json
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: caddy.Version=v2.5.1 h1:bAWwslD1jNeCzDa+jDCNwb8M3UJ2tPa8UZFFzPVmGKs=
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: runtime.GOOS=linux
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: runtime.GOARCH=amd64
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: runtime.Compiler=gc
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: runtime.NumCPU=2
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: runtime.GOMAXPROCS=2
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: runtime.Version=go1.18.1
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: os.Getwd=/
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: LANG=C.UTF-8
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: HOME=/var/lib/caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: LOGNAME=caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: USER=caddy
May 09 00:52:59 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: INVOCATION_ID=b5bed0f1f71b42929c755713c179bd29

I initially had a firewall issue, and the following lines appeared in the log:

May 09 20:44:28 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: {"level":"error","ts":1652129068.489746,"logger":"tls.issuance.acme.acme_client","msg":"challenge failed","identifier":"caddytest.cf","challenge_type":"http-01","problem":{"type":"urn:ietf:params:acme:error:connection","title":"","detail":"132.145.103.78: Fetching http://caddytest.cf/.well-known/acme-challenge/5vtpluZ1BYU62rwnV-erenpIUoyWx0-jTaZ6lXlDaiU: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)","instance":"","subproblems":[]}}
May 09 20:44:28 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: {"level":"error","ts":1652129068.4897828,"logger":"tls.issuance.acme.acme_client","msg":"validating authorization","identifier":"caddytest.cf","problem":{"type":"urn:ietf:params:acme:error:connection","title":"","detail":"132.145.103.78: Fetching http://caddytest.cf/.well-known/acme-challenge/5vtpluZ1BYU62rwnV-erenpIUoyWx0-jTaZ6lXlDaiU: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)","instance":"","subproblems":[]},"order":"https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/order/536049396/87239794716","attempt":2,"max_attempts":3}
May 09 20:44:28 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[2010]: {"level":"error","ts":1652129068.4898076,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"could not get certificate from issuer","identifier":"caddytest.cf","issuer":"acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org-directory","error":"HTTP 400 urn:ietf:params:acme:error:connection - 132.145.103.78: Fetching http://caddytest.cf/.well-known/acme-challenge/5vtpluZ1BYU62rwnV-erenpIUoyWx0-jTaZ6lXlDaiU: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)"}

Typing ‘/error’ while in the log viewer will find lines with an error. You may need to use the arrow keys to scroll across the line to see the text located.

If a certificate was successfully obtained, typiing ‘/success’ should find the line(s) confirming successful certificate creation/acquisition.

May 09 21:42:29 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[5508]: {"level":"info","ts":1652132549.736588,"logger":"tls.issuance.acme.acme_client","msg":"successfully downloaded available certificate chains","count":1,"first_url":"https://acme.zerossl.com/v2/DV90/cert/ZNlj7N2rtt9Z_Zo-gLHXmQ"}
May 09 21:42:29 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[5508]: {"level":"info","ts":1652132549.736983,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"certificate obtained successfully","identifier":"caddytest.cf"}

I guess just use pipe it through grep to keep only lines starting with { then jq should be more useful.

Again – you haven’t given it a domain name to use!!

Either give it a domain name, or turn on on_demand.

tls internal {
	on_demand
}

Thanks… I didn’t understand without the complete syntax. Now I have it.

OBSERVATION

An observation (NOT a complaint, but hopefully useful feedback for helpers/documentaton writers)
For me “lack of context” or mixing back and when documentation switches between JSON and Caddyfile format is a real barrier to understanding. I get that the JSON config is super cool for automation and very necessary especially with cloud technology - my question is if I’m just trying to deploy something simple, how do I integrate a JSON example into my Caddyfile?

Example Getting Started — Caddy Documentation … It starts with some simple examples of downloading the binary and serving files on localhost. (A good use case – however if you do the Install as per the installation instructions, systemctl should be used instead of direct caddy commands). Then we jump right into an API/JSON example and that’s supposed to be my “First Config” - What??? I tried to use Caddy when V1 came out and that documentaton scared me away.

And this Testing Section Automatic HTTPS — Caddy Documentation - I had no idea what to do with this statement https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory - I think it took me about a half an hour to find an example that put it into context.

All this to say I think more relevant examples in the documentation would go a long way to making things more understandable (and separate the API from the Caddyfile examples (or link them when the same issue is solved both ways–which in most cases should be done.)
Comments welcome - is this just me, or are others having the same issue?

Again, much love for all – not a complaint – just doing this example has shown me how hard writing documentation is!

My goal is to create a good clear example that can be worked though and leave the user with enough understanding to build static sites.

QUESTIONS:

Since you do a lot of helping maybe you could tell me if there are any common problems that you are seeing that my example would not address so far?

This successfully tests port 80 redirection to port 443 with a self-signed certificate.

root * /usr/share/caddy
    file_server
}

tls internal {
        on_demand
    }
    root * /usr/share/caddy
    file_server
}

If I wanted :80 not to reroute, what would I change?

Once I get answers I integrate them into the example and clean it up some more.

Understanding that the underlying config is JSON is pretty fundamental to understanding how Caddy works.

The point of the Getting Started pages is to give you a quick tour of the fundamental concepts behind Caddy so then you can make an informed choice of whether you want to use a Caddyfile, or JSON directly.

This isn’t a high barrier to entry IMO, you need to at least understand how to use your computer and a terminal.

Do you mean v2? Caddy v1 didn’t have JSON config.

Yeah, that’s fair. We could clarify there that for the Caddyfile, the acme_ca global option is what you should use when testing.

Generally though, we try to avoid specific config examples in pages/articles that explain concepts.

We have examples all over the reference docs for each Caddyfile directive.

Where are you seeing this, exactly? If you’re talking about Getting Started, well… that’s the entire point. Under the hood, every time you use caddy run or caddy reload, you are using the API, just wrapped up behind a CLI command.

For sure :+1: that’s our goal too, but every user has different needs, and we’re trying to cater to everyone at the same time.

You’re not doing any redirection here, because you’re overriding :80 with that config to serve static files.

I strongly suggest not to override redirects, you should only allow HTTPS (and HTTP only for ACME HTTP challenges and HTTP->HTTPS redirects, both of which Caddy’s Automatic HTTPS sets up for you).

I really cannot recommend using this kind of config other than for toying around. This opens you up to DDoS, because someone could just point a wildcard domain to your server then make requests like https://a.badguy.com, then https://b.badguy.com and so on to infinity, until you hit rate limits, or worse, your server’s disk storage is filled up with garbage TLS certs and keys.

You must configure an ask endpoint to safely use on_demand to avoid this, by only allowing domains you know to trigger fetching a cert.

Like I said before, you really should configure actual names in your config, instead of :443.

1 Like

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

I think you may be a bit too close to see it–once you :“get it” - it’s easy - a bit like the Rubic’s Cube!. Solve in under a minute if you are an expert! Struggle for hours until you do. A well written tutorial will greatly speed up the journey to expert.

I have been almost exclusively using Linux since about 2018, and dabbled with some shell accounts and Linux VMs since 2014. I’ve set up FreeNAS (now TrueNAS) and pfSense and interact on the shell with both of them to automate custom processes. I was able to get going in Docker more easily than Caddy due to the presence of good examples that were close to my use cases. A block of code can often be worth a 1000 words (or more!)

I think that should qualify me as knowing how to use my computer – and having said that I’m brand new to cloud dev ops. First experience with a cloud server was about 2 weeks ago. I am maybe going a bit further with my than I should because I can remember the day when it would have made a big difference,

Having said that though, the documentation that is there is very well written and an excellent reference once you have enough context. The reason I am spending so much time on Caddy is that I can see the potential… once you know what you are doing you can get a lot done very very quickly, easily and with less resources. I know elegant design when I see it even if I can’t yet figure it all out. @matt has really thought this out well.

That’s sort of the problem… the guy who wants to set up an automated K8S cluster and small business who wants to set up a VPS to serve the company website are going to use very different approaches. The K8S dev isn’t likely going to care too much about the Caddyfile, and the small website builder doesn’t likely want to have to deal with the JSON/API.

“Getting started” is the small website / small proxy server. From what I have seen so far, I think 85-90% of the website on small servers would be better off with Caddy rather than Nginx or Apache.
The path of least resistance is likely still Apache/Nginx because there are many step-by-step tutorials on how to set it up! I found myself looking at a very detailed “Set up WordPress / PHP on Nginx” tutorial - showed exactly what packages to install – which should work for Caddy.

Then maybe a “Getting Started with the API” for an Advanced User. I did eventually trip over something like that on the site, but it took me awhile to discover it.

Anyway thanks for engaging, let me see what I can create with your help and how the community responds to it. I’m most grateful for everything so I’m not going to press this point any further.

I want to make it 100% clear the only reason I am asking about this setup is for TROUBLESHOOTING or testing behind the firewall. All 4 of the following must work for https pages to be served:

1. Traffic getting to ports 80/443
  2. Is Caddy running properly on the server / Install worked - right package / directories correct/writeable.
  3. Caddy configuration done correctly
  4. Let’s Encrypt working properly / Correct certificates available.

On my first attempts to set up a server I had a problem with step 1 (port 443 was being blocked). I thought my problem was with 3/4. If I had a quick way to verify the steps in order I would have saved several hours. Since this was my first time setting things up on a cloud environment that I was using for the first time, all 4 steps were unfamiliar ( I am still looking for a quick way to verify #1 that doesn’t depend on the later steps. ) Because of the redirection the output from curl didn’t really show what the true problem was. The :80{ :443 { configs are an attempt to test #1/#2.

This Caddyfile does redirect to https as can be seen with curl.

$ curl -v http://132.145.103.78
*   Trying 132.145.103.78:80...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to 132.145.103.78 (132.145.103.78) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: 132.145.103.78
> User-Agent: curl/7.68.0
> Accept: */*
> 
* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
< HTTP/1.1 308 Permanent Redirect
< Connection: close
< Location: https://132.145.103.78/
< Server: Caddy
< Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 00:54:36 GMT
< Content-Length: 0
< 
* Closing connection 0

and it it correctly produces a NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID which can be bypassed on a web browser to display the sample site.

I would like to have an example that serves port 80 in plain text and 443 as https – again just for testing. That will tick off #1/#2 and sort of touch on #3/#4. Once this all works everything should be in the domain of #3.

Thanks for mentioning this… I will be sure to highlight … Again my intent is either for troubleshooting or quick proof of concept in test environments behind a firewall.

Just to clarify it doesn’t fetch a cert-it creaties self-singed cert internally (without going to the internet?).

I did my best to imitate the scenario you described (I have 5 caddytest domains registered from FreeNOM which are pointed at my test VPS.) . I hit the site with http://132.145.103.78 and from 4 different domains. I was surprised that this is the only log traffic I got:
(I expected to see the other domain names in the log file-why not?)

May 11 01:24:16 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232256.5573242,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"certificate obtained successfully","identifier":"132.145.103.78:443"}
May 11 01:24:16 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232256.5573611,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"releasing lock","identifier":"132.145.103.78:443"}
May 11 01:24:16 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"warn","ts":1652232256.5577471,"logger":"tls","msg":"stapling OCSP","error":"no OCSP stapling for [132.145.103.78:443]: no OCSP server specified in certificate","identifiers":["132.145.103.78:443"]}
May 11 01:27:52 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232472.2923038,"logger":"tls.on_demand","msg":"obtaining new certificate","server_name":"132.145.103.78"}
May 11 01:27:52 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232472.2925432,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"acquiring lock","identifier":"132.145.103.78"}
May 11 01:27:52 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232472.2961135,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"lock acquired","identifier":"132.145.103.78"}
May 11 01:27:52 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232472.2973058,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"certificate obtained successfully","identifier":"132.145.103.78"}
May 11 01:27:52 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232472.2973285,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"releasing lock","identifier":"132.145.103.78"}
May 11 01:27:52 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"warn","ts":1652232472.2976415,"logger":"tls","msg":"stapling OCSP","error":"no OCSP stapling for [132.145.103.78]: no OCSP server specified in certificate","identifiers":["132.145.103.78"]}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232729.2993627,"logger":"tls.on_demand","msg":"attempting certificate renewal","server_name":"10.0.0.158","subjects":["10.0.0.158"],"expiration":1652247051,"remaining":14321.700641914,"revoked":false}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232729.2998455,"logger":"tls.renew","msg":"acquiring lock","identifier":"10.0.0.158"}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232729.3019702,"logger":"tls.renew","msg":"lock acquired","identifier":"10.0.0.158"}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232729.3022192,"logger":"tls.renew","msg":"renewing certificate","identifier":"10.0.0.158","remaining":14321.697781807}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232729.3033087,"logger":"tls.renew","msg":"certificate renewed successfully","identifier":"10.0.0.158"}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232729.3033264,"logger":"tls.renew","msg":"releasing lock","identifier":"10.0.0.158"}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"warn","ts":1652232729.303651,"logger":"tls","msg":"stapling OCSP","error":"no OCSP stapling for [10.0.0.158]: no OCSP server specified in certificate","identifiers":["10.0.0.158"]}
May 11 01:32:09 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652232729.303676,"logger":"tls.cache","msg":"replaced certificate in cache","subjects":["10.0.0.158"],"new_expiration":1652275929}
May 11 02:25:31 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652235931.350404,"logger":"tls.on_demand","msg":"obtaining new certificate","server_name":"www.caddytest.ga"}
May 11 02:25:31 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652235931.3506382,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"acquiring lock","identifier":"www.caddytest.ga"}
May 11 02:25:31 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652235931.3540866,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"lock acquired","identifier":"www.caddytest.ga"}
May 11 02:25:31 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652235931.3553138,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"certificate obtained successfully","identifier":"www.caddytest.ga"}
May 11 02:25:31 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"info","ts":1652235931.3553362,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"releasing lock","identifier":"www.caddytest.ga"}
May 11 02:25:31 caddytest-20220508-1602 caddy[7091]: {"level":"warn","ts":1652235931.3556552,"logger":"tls","msg":"stapling OCSP","error":"no OCSP stapling for [www.caddytest.ga]: no OCSP server specified in certificate","identifiers":["www.caddytest.ga"]}

As you said certificates we generated for each domain that were signed by Caddy’s internal cert.

Is there anything wrong with using tls internal { on_demand } behind a reverse proxy that has no direct internet connection? I would think that might be better than open http.
(I’m talking in a SOHO environment where everything is on 1 or at most 2 computers and it’s not really practical to setup a PKI server (which would be the way to do things in a larger environment.)

IIUC that would still create an encrypted connection and unless a machine was compromised there wouldn’t be anyone listening anyway.

Is there a better way to handle this “behind the reverse-proxy/no domain name” for a small installation?

@francislavoie Are there any other places in the setup that you find people getting stuck/lost that I should highlight?

That exists, though!

There’s a difference between “Getting Started” and “Tutorial”.

The Getting Started page is to help you decide “what kind of user am I?”.

I don’t see the problem at all with that page. It’s very simple. Shows you a super quick tour of the fundamental concepts. Start Caddy, see there’s an API, do a JSON hello world, do a Caddyfile hello world. Cool, now you know how to configure Caddy at a high level, so which one’s for you?

I think every new user needs to see this, to at least have a chance to choose for themselves what path they want to go with. It doesn’t make sense to split this up, because this is the entrypoint for new users.

From that point on, you then move onto the relevant tutorial for the way you want to use it.

What I’m trying to say is I’m not really hearing actionable feedback right now. If you have any specific suggestions to improve the flow, you can propose changes on the website repo (the docs site is open source):

Oh right – that’s cause we sort http:// or :80 routes (i.e. ones with no host matcher) to the end, and put the redirect route before it. Point is, your :80 block does nothing at all in this case. You can remove it.

If you actually want to serve content over http, then you’ll need to either specify an actual host, or configure the global option auto_https disable_redirects to get rid of the redirect.

But I don’t think you really need that. If you can see Server: Caddy and you see a redirect when connecting over HTTP, then everything’s good to go.

Yes. Caddy generates a local CA, using GitHub - smallstep/certificates: 🛡️ A private certificate authority (X.509 & SSH) & ACME server for secure automated certificate management, so you can use TLS everywhere & SSO for SSH. under the hood, and then uses that CA to generate your leaf certs.

I’m not sure I understand. I see domains:

That’s fine for testing as long as nobody from the internet can hit it and abuse it.

I’m not sure I understand the question

1 Like

I get you… let me think about it… let me see if I can get this tutorial sorted out - if I do it right it should address the basic “getting strated” problems.

Let me try asking a differnt way. How would you attach a couple of sites running on a mchine inside the firewall to a reverse proxy located at the edge? Assume that the route between the two machines was a dedicated 802.1Q tagged VLAN in a small office (actually it’s my home, but for illustration I’d like to raise the threat potential just slightly.)

Have a look at this curl output from earlier in the thread… would you interpret this as a problem with port 443 not being open. I didn’t… and I wasted a heap of time looking for the problem in the wrong place.

* TCP_NODELAY set
* ALPN, offering h2
* Closing connection 0

I just went back to the first server I tried to set up, and there were some issues. Having this bit of code:

root * /usr/share/caddy
    file_server
}

tls internal {
        on_demand
    }
    root * /usr/share/caddy
    file_server
}

helped me get the problem solved in about 2 minutes. I’ve got a few firewalls to get through, and it’s easy to make a mistake and miss something.

Next step redirecting http(s)://www.caddytest.cf → https://caddytest.cf

This is the Caddyfile I tried - I think I know why it didn’t work, but I have no clue how to fix it?
It looks like {host} includes the www. - have I got that right? If so, how do I get rid of it.
I notice from the logs that I got a cert for www.caddytest.cf, which is a good start.

caddytest.cf:   {                                                              
   root * /usr/share/caddy                                                     

file_server                                                                 

log {
       output file /var/lib/caddy/logs/caddytest.cf.log
   }                                    
}                                                                              

www.caddytest.cf:   {                                                              
   # Redirect www
   redir https://{host}{uri}
}

This is the output I got when I hit the url with curl.

$ curl -v https://www.caddytest.cf/
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to www.caddytest.cf (132.145.103.78) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering h2
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Encrypted Extensions (8):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, CERT verify (15):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.3 / TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
* ALPN, server accepted to use h2
* Server certificate:
*  subject: CN=www.caddytest.cf
*  start date: May 11 08:08:21 2022 GMT
*  expire date: Aug  9 08:08:20 2022 GMT
*  subjectAltName: host "www.caddytest.cf" matched cert's "www.caddytest.cf"
*  issuer: C=US; O=Let's Encrypt; CN=R3
*  SSL certificate verify ok.
* Using HTTP2, server supports multi-use
* Connection state changed (HTTP/2 confirmed)
* Copying HTTP/2 data in stream buffer to connection buffer after upgrade: len=0
* Using Stream ID: 1 (easy handle 0x5562167122f0)
> GET / HTTP/2
> Host: www.caddytest.cf
> user-agent: curl/7.68.0
> accept: */*
> 
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Newsession Ticket (4):
* Connection state changed (MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS == 250)!
< HTTP/2 302 
< location: https://www.caddytest.cf/
< server: Caddy
< content-length: 0
< date: Wed, 11 May 2022 09:14:00 GMT
< 
* Connection #0 to host www.caddytest.cf left intact

Any other directive you think I should include for a production static?

Is it possible to proxy port 443 on a subdomain directly without caddy handling the https?

The use case would be a web server in the cloud to serve my web site, and a subdomain to proxy a connection to my home office through a tunnel. I would likely do some geographic firewalling on the external server, but then route the traffic through an ssh tunnel to a reverse proxy on my pfSense firewall which has access control. That way if the cloud server gets broken into, it’s not really any greater exposure than having the reverse proxy open to the internet. The advantage of doing that is that I don’t draw attention to the fact that I’m running a server on my home internet connection. All the ISP sees is the tunnel to the cloud. I’m thinking that I would likely use s client cert and a password for access control.