Using Caddy to proxy chevereto

Hello, I am using caddy as a reverse proxy for my home server and am interested in using chevereto to share some family photos etc and things that we’d prefer to self-host.

I would install chevereto on a separate server from caddy and prefer to access it as a subdirectory eg. mydomain.com/chevereto or something but I’d be happy even if I got it to work with a subdomain like chevereto.mydomain.com.

I think part of the issue is that chevereto uses mod_rewrite to make pretty urls and I’m not sure how to configure caddy to handle that.

I saw a couple other posts on here regarding sites with mod_rewrite but they all have a bunch of complex regex statements and I’m hoping my problem is more simple than that.

• When going to mydomain.com/chevereto, the website resolves but the URL gets rewritten to mydomain.com/login which does not exist and I get 404.

• When going to chevereto.mydomain.com it simply times out and gives page cannot be displayed.

• When going to http://localip the website displays and works perfectly.

• Relevant resources:
    Here is the .htaccess file that chevereto uses.
    I also tried adding this example caddy file I found for chevereto, but I think this is just if you are running caddy and chevereto on the same server, not using caddy as proxy. At least, I wasn’t able to get the syntax right and caddy wouldn’t start.

Lastly, here is my caddyfile:

mydomain.com
{

ext .html .htm
  root /caddy/www
  gzip
  tls me@email.com

log /caddy/log/access.log {
    rotate_size 3
    rotate_age 90
    rotate_keep 25
  }

header / {

X-Content-Type-Options nosniff
    X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block"
    Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload"
  }

proxy /chevereto http://10.0.0.177  {
	transparent
  }}

chevereto.mydomain.com {

log /caddy/log/chevereto.log {
    rotate_size 3
    rotate_age 90
    rotate_keep 25
  }

gzip
  tls me@email.com
    proxy / http://10.0.0.177/ {

transparent
    }
}

I should also mention: I am using CADDY 0.10.10

Also, I checked access.log and found no errors, it does return 200 for /chevereto but that is the only entry. chevereto.log file has no entries at all

;/

Rewrites shouldn’t be your concern, because you’re not using Caddy to serve the files/PHP - it’s simply proxying back to another server.

Your issue with mydomain.com/chevereto is that the upstream app is probably behaving as though it were located at /. A request for /chevereto might not be valid upstream, and a request for any other location, as you’ve learned, is not proxied by Caddy because you’ve configured it only to proxy /chevereto and its sub-paths.

If you can configure the app somehow to use /chevereto as a URL base, this approach becomes feasible. Otherwise, the best option is to use a subdomain.

That (probably) means your requests for chevereto.mydomain.com aren’t reaching Caddy. Check your DNS properly resolves that subdomain to the IP address of your Caddy host.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.