Unable to change email on this Discourse

I am trying to change my email on this Discourse instance, but on clicking the confirmation email, I see this message:

Oops

The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Detailed information about the error was logged, and an automatic notification generated. We'll take a look at it.

No further action is necessary. However, if the error condition persists, you can provide additional detail, including steps to reproduce the error, by posting a discussion topic in the site's feedback category.

What might be causing this?

That’s weird, I can’t find any errors in the logs related to changing email addresses. (Maybe the developers were notified directly?)

Er… anyway… I just did an upgrade (they have new versions like every week), so you might try again. If that still doesn’t work, DM me your new email and I’ll try to change it for you.

Thanks for checking, Matt! I was able to narrow this down to happening when 2FA is active. I noticed this on another Discourse with 2FA active. And, on a third Discourse without 2FA, I was able to confirm the new email.

I am going to turn off 2FA here and confirm my email.

In the meantime, I reported this as a bug upstream:

1 Like

Interesting – thank you for doing that!

No problem!

Turns out this is an issue with “two factor backup codes” in particular and not TOTP. I have updated the upstream post with more details. Future developments can be read on the upstream thread.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.