LimitNPROC=512
PrivateTmp=true
ProtectSystem=full
AmbientCapabilities=CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

d. My complete Caddyfile or JSON config:

:80 {
  reverse_proxy srv+http://hello-webs-frontend.service.consul.

log {
    output file /home/ubuntu/caddy.log
  }
}

3. The problem I’m having:

I have consul running as a local DNS server for service discovery. Consul has SRV records for my service so I am using srv+ in my reverse_proxy directive so that Caddy will find the SRV record and forward to the correct host:port. I am getting a 500 response so I wanted to debug using Caddy’s logs. However, even with the log directive caddy does not seem to be writing any log file. Does anyone know how to debug Caddy itself not writing a log file?

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

N/A

5. What I already tried:

I thought maybe caddy does not have permission to write the log file so instead of /var/log/caddy.log I changed it to my home directory /home/ubuntu/caddy.log however still no log file is being written.

6. Links to relevant resources:

N/A

You can add this to the top of your Caddyfile to get some additional debug information about proxy requests:

{
	debug
}

This forces all debug level logs to be emitted to stdout. You can see these using journalctl -u caddy when running as a systemd service.

Referencing: Logging snippet using {host} placeholder for log filename - #2 by francislavoie
The Log will not start until Caddy is stopped and started.

I don’t believe that is accurate. Logs are started any time new config is loaded. In fact, when Caddy is first started, no config is loaded anyway.

I didn’t see that behavior with Caddy V2 and mentioned here.

How can I exactly reproduce the behavior you experienced?

Apparently you are correct.
The problem must have been related to the unstable Caddy instance I had due to loading invalid Caddyfiles prior to adding the log entry. I just added a log entry to my Caddyfile and reloaded and it worked.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for following-up!

Thanks for the help everyone!

I was able to debug using systemctl status caddy and saw this can't open new logfile: open /home/ubuntu/caddy.log: permission denied. So I made that file and opened up it’s permissions and that worked.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.