</body>
</html>

head.html:

<head>
  <meta charset="utf-8">
  <title>{{.Args 0}} | Wow!</title>
</head>

What I’m expecting:

When I go to localhost:443/test.html I expect it to show a page, with a window where the title is “mycoolwebsite”

What is happening:

2022/03/03 01:50:14.067	ERROR	http.log.error	template: /company:2:4: executing "/test.html" at <include "/templates/head.html" "mycoolwebsite">: error calling include: template: /templates/head.html:4:11: executing "/templates/head.html" at <.Args>: Args has arguments but cannot be invoked as function	{"request": {"remote_ip": "127.0.0.1", "remote_port": "45226", "proto": "HTTP/2.0", "method": "GET", "host": "localhost", "uri": "/test.html", "headers": {"User-Agent": ["curl/7.79.1"], "Accept": ["*/*"]}, "tls": {"resumed": false, "version": 772, "cipher_suite": 4865, "proto": "h2", "server_name": "localhost"}}, "duration": 0.001573409, "status": 500, "err_id": "at68kezth", "err_trace": "templates.(*Templates).executeTemplate (templates.go:347)"}

It is not clear to me what this means:

executing “/templates/head.html” at <.Args>: Args has arguments but cannot be invoked as function

Doing {{index .Args 0}} fixed it.
But then how would I do something like:

{{include "/templates/head.html" .URL.Query.Get "name"}}

1 Like

Yeah, our docs are wrong. .Args is an array, so it needs to be indexed into, not called. Nice job figuring it out! I’ll fix the docs.

I don’t fully understand the next question though?

It’s because {{include "somefile.html"}} takes some optional arguments. So I’d like to pass the name value from the URL, to the included file.
mywebsite.com?name=benjamin
Then I’d like to pass benjamin to the included file, so that I can use index .Args 0 in the included file to get benjamin.

This however does not seem to work:
{{include "/templates/head.html" .URL.Query.Get "name"}}

I pretty much never play with Go templates so I don’t know if this is right, but maybe you need to do this?

{{include "/templates/head.html" (.URL.Query.Get "name")}}

That does not work for some reason. I’m not sure what to do.

2022/03/04 02:19:26.471	ERROR	http.log.error	template: /mywebsite:2:40: executing "/mywebsite" at <.URL.Query.Get>: can't evaluate field URL in type *templates.TemplateContext	{"request": {"remote_ip": "127.0.0.1", "remote_port": "33022", "proto": "HTTP/2.0", "method": "GET", "host": "localhost", "uri": "/mywebsite?name=test", "headers": {"User-Agent": ["curl/7.79.1"], "Accept": ["*/*"]}, "tls": {"resumed": false, "version": 772, "cipher_suite": 4865, "proto": "h2", "server_name": "localhost"}}, "duration": 0.00135977, "status": 500, "err_id": "34nhb8ueq", "err_trace": "templates.(*Templates).executeTemplate (templates.go:347)"}

Actually, this in an of itself does not seem to work for me:
<h1>{{.URL.Query.Get "name"}}</h1>

I think you need to do .Req.Url.Query.Get, because the URL is inside the request

2 Likes

Yep that did it. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.