`:80

reverse_proxy {
to 127.0.0.1:5000 127.0.0.1:5001

health_path /
health_interval 1s
health_timeout 500ms

}`

3. The problem I’m having:

`As you can see I’m just trying to have a reverse proxy for 2 different nodes, with the same service isntalled. I would like to have caddy route the users to the first available node, so I can stop the second one and install a new version without stopping the service for the users. The problem, I have tested some config options, is that caddy doesn’t understand immediately if a node is down, and try to serve with the stopped service, so I got a 502. How can I achieve this simple use case?

Sorry, it’s my first time with caddy!`

I think you want to play with the lb_try_duration option and passive health checks to see if it does what you need.

Active health checks happen in the background, so there’s up to 1 second (the interval you set) where Caddy won’t realize that a backend is down.

Another approach you could take it make a /health endpoint on your app, and set it up such that when you want to take it down, make your /health endpoint return as unhealthy, while still serving requests. Keep serving requests as normal for something like 2x your health interval (you can tweak that number, just an idea). After that interval, where you know Caddy will have realized the backend is down, you can shut down that instance.

Also FYI, use ``` on the lines before and after your config to use code formatting in these forums :slightly_smiling_face:

Very good, I will try immediately with your solution. The problem I got was that it seems that the health_interval was not respected, meaning that I get 502 for more than just one (o 2) seconds, before caddy realise the node is down. I don’t know if that is normal, I expected that is was more “fast” in understanding the situation, what do you think?

Thank you for your help

I have tried with the /health endpoint, returning a 404 if there’s a special file in the app, but caddy is still serving it. What am I doing wrong?

:80

reverse_proxy {
to 127.0.0.1:5000 127.0.0.1:5001

lb_try_duration 500ms

health_path /health
    health_interval 1s
    health_timeout 500ms

}

If you enable debug mode (put debug in a global options block at the top of your Caddyfile), what do the logs show?

and where shoud the log be saved? I’m running caddy as a service daemon, I don’t see any message in the stdout…

When running as a systemd service, the stdout logs are written to the system journal. You can see them by running journalctl --no-page -u caddy | less (hit Shift+G to jump to the bottom)

Thank you for helping me, now it’s working. I really don’t what I was doing wrong, but with the /health endpoint now Caddy is working as expected

Thank you both for your help!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.