Phpmyadmin is not working

1. Caddy version (caddy version):

v2.3.0 h1:fnrqJLa3G5vfxcxmOH/+kJOcunPLhSBnjgIvjXV/QTA=

2. How I run Caddy:

a. System environment:

I just downloaded phpMyAdmin-5.1.0-all-languages.zip and installed it on my VPS in /usr/share/phpMyAdmin/.

b. Command:

sudo systemctl restart caddy

c. Service/unit/compose file:

[yves@sd-163808 phpMyAdmin]$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/caddy.service
# caddy.service
#
# For using Caddy with a config file.
#
# Make sure the ExecStart and ExecReload commands are correct
# for your installation.
#
# See https://caddyserver.com/docs/install for instructions.
#
# WARNING: This service does not use the --resume flag, so if you
# use the API to make changes, they will be overwritten by the
# Caddyfile next time the service is restarted. If you intend to
# use Caddy's API to configure it, add the --resume flag to the
# `caddy run` command or use the caddy-api.service file instead.

[Unit]
Description=Caddy
Documentation=https://caddyserver.com/docs/
After=network.target network-online.target
Requires=network-online.target

[Service]
User=caddy
Group=caddy
ExecStart=/usr/bin/caddy run --environ --config /etc/caddy/Caddyfile
ExecReload=/usr/bin/caddy reload --config /etc/caddy/Caddyfile
TimeoutStopSec=5s
LimitNOFILE=1048576
LimitNPROC=512
PrivateTmp=true
ProtectSystem=full
AmbientCapabilities=CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
[yves@sd-163808 phpMyAdmin]$

d. My complete Caddyfile or JSON config:

[yves@sd-163808 phpMyAdmin]$ cat /etc/caddy/Caddyfile
{
	debug
}
team-tabulos.com

log {
  output file /var/log/caddy/access.log {
    roll_keep_for 8760h
  }
}

root * /opt/tabulos

php_fastcgi /phpmyadmin/* unix//run/php-fpm/www.sock  {
  root /usr/share/phpMyAdmin/
}

php_fastcgi unix//run/php-fpm/www.sock 
file_server
[yves@sd-163808 phpMyAdmin]$

3. The problem I’m having:

I am trying to have phpmyadmin working on my machine. I though it would be a good idea to implement it as a specific route on my domain name: Bienvenue sur Tabulos for instance. So I added the following directive in my caddy file:

php_fastcgi /phpmyadmin/* unix//run/php-fpm/www.sock  {
  root /usr/share/phpMyAdmin/
}

Then I pointed to team-tabulos.com/phpmyadmin/index.php from my browser, and as a result the page remains all blank. What is surprising is that I get a lot of error in the javascript console.

Actually, from what I see, I have an error for each css ressource, like this one:

Did not parse stylesheet at 'https://team-tabulos.com/phpmyadmin/themes/pmahomme/css/printview.css?v=5.1.0' because non CSS MIME types are not allowed in strict mode.

And for each javascript file, I have an error message looking like that:

Refused to execute https://team-tabulos.com/phpmyadmin/js/vendor/jquery/jquery.min.js?v=5.1.0 as script because "X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff" was given and its Content-Type is not a script MIME type.

Moreover, if I look into the response header, I can see that the Content-Type is set to:

Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

for each of those two files, and for any file I am trying to look at. There’s even four files (logo images) who all four see their Content-Type set to text/html. So I guess that every response set its Content-Type to text/html.

Even though I am not a web developper, I guess it’s not the correct value… So I guess there’s an issue with the correct Content-Type answered by Caddy. (Am I wrong or right?)

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

There’s a lot of lines in the caddy log file. If you ask for it specifically, I can make the effort to copy/paste it here. For instance for the file printview.css, if you ask for it.

5. What I already tried:

I’ve tried to solve my issue by rewriting the Content-Type header at the fly with some directives. I’ve wrote that in my configuration file:

header /phpmyadmin/*.js {
  Content-Type 'text/javascript'
}

But it did not worked. (I think I am far from mastering the CaddyFile) How would you do to make Caddy specify the correct Content-Type?

6. Links to relevant resources:

The problem is that file_server ends up not having the right root when serving phpmydmin requests. Instead of using a matcher on php_fastcgi, you should use one on root so that you set the root for both php_fastcgi and file_server on each request rather than just for one of them.

root /phpmyadmin/* /usr/share/phpMyAdmin/
root * /opt/tabulos

uri /phpmyadmin/* strip_prefix /phpmyadmin

php_fastcgi unix//run/php-fpm/www.sock 
file_server

You also need the strip_prefix because otherwise the path would be appended to the root and you would end up with /usr/share/phpMyAdmin/phpmyadmin as your base filepath.

1 Like

Indeed the page is loading gracefully. The login form is displaying correctly. There’s no longer any errors in the console log. Everything is fine.

But I will need to understand this whole machinery… Because I copied/pasted your solution blindly…

1 Like

Basically:

• On requests to /phpmyadmin/*, the root is set to /usr/share/phpMyAdmin/
  • On requests to anything else, the root is set to /opt/tabulos.
  • Since file_server assembles the file path it looks for on disk by taking root and appending the request path to it, then a request to /phpmyadmin/foo.js would look on disk for /usr/share/phpMyAdmin/phpmyadmin/foo.js, which will not work because that’s not a path that exists on disk.
  • To solve this, uri strip_prefix is used to remove the extra /phpmyadmin from the front of the path. The root is already decided and that’s the only part that matters, so it’s okay to do this.
  • The php_fastcgi directive will then do its thing, including looking on disk for PHP files or falling back to an index.php. If it’s a PHP file, it’ll send it to php-fpm to execute it. Otherwise the request falls through
  • The file_server will handle any requests to things that aren’t PHP files, like .js and .css, etc, and serve them appropriately.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.