One instance of Caddy per IP, yes, no?

Hi,

I have two IP addresses on the same dedicated server. I was wondering if there is an advantage or inconvenient to run one instance of Caddy per IP ?

Thank you,

Generally you should only one run Caddy instance per machine. You can tell Caddy to bind certain sites to certain interfaces with the bind directive. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply.

I didn’t know if it would improve performances or not.

By the way, I am taking the opportunity to congratulate you and your community, I hope Caddy and your other projects will have a bright future. (I hope this is the right expression in English :slight_smile: )

Yes it is, thank you!

It’s not a matter of performance. Two Caddy instances on the same machine would not work well when obtaining TLS certificates from Let’s Encrypt because they’d share the same storage.

I admit, for small sites it doesn’t matter much: If you have a network card which supports more than one queue for incoming packets (good cards have at least 4 Tx and 4 Rx queues; even cheap ones have 2 Rx, 2Tx these days) and »disperse« them across several interrupts (for better performance on NUMA or/and multi-core machines), iff and then it’s beneficial to start more than one process, because Go is not very good when it comes to thread/core/IRQ pinning.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.