No issues, just heartfelt thanks

I am a caddy user for about 3 years.
Got about 20ish installs, mainly using it with the docker proxy module and a couple of them also using the security plugin.
I am also using it in a very easy local reverse proxy setup for my colleagues so they can have their https and container apps surfaced properly.
I needed to have a caddy instance behind cloudflare for a client today.
I prepared mentally for a ride but in under 1 hour I read all that I needed, rebuilt caddy image locally with the cloudflare dns provider, created the api token and added it to the caddy docker compose env file.
Everytime I touch caddy it amazes me how easy and intuitive this feels (yes, I had issues with 2.4.5 when having 500 containers each with its own vhost and basic auth file and templates, but this was solved very easy once I profiled the caddy calls - and the new improved version was already out - I think it was 2.6.0?).

I have no issues to report for once, just wanted to cheer you guys for the amazing piece of software you did!

:medal_sports:

8 Likes

Thanks so much for the kind remarks. It’s encouraging to hear positive feedback like this. :smiley: And it’s interesting to know how people are using Caddy!

So glad you are having a good experience overall.

2 Likes

You’ve summed up very nicely @teodorescuserban :pray:

People have to do this more often than just use the forums for just issues/bugs! :clap:

These kind of words and appreciation adds :rocket: fuel to all those involved in developing this wonderful piece of software and in general the open source community :clap:

3 Likes

I just logged in to post this same thing. I saw this, so I will pile on.

I was using Traefik with Truecharts for about 6 months. Took me long enough to learn that, but with all the Truecharts issues I knew I needed to get away from it.

I finally fully seperated about a week ago, finally figuring out the last issues I was having with Caddy. I ultimately found much of my frustration was overthinking things, or using outdated guides.

Anyway, I have two servers at different locations, and they both backup to eachother nightly. This ensures a house fire won’t take away my data. Well, after setting up Caddy on my home server, I felt brave enough to deploy it on my remote server (from my home!)… It took about two hours to create a new VM for caddy and setup the new caddyfile for all the new domains/proxies. Last step, point the router away from Traefik and over to Caddy.

Finger crossed… it worked! I disabled Traefik and I can still reach everything on my remote server. This may seem trivial to most here, but this was an amazing accomplishment for me! I never took a computer science class in my life, and now I feel like I can do most of what people need for cloud services. Everything is protected by Basic Auth, which I know isn’t the greatest, but for now, good enough!

I can reach both of my firewalls, truenas, proxmox, 5 nextcloud installs, 2 odoo installs… this is just fantastic. Thank you everyone here that has helped me, I truly appreciate it. And I got it all done with 2 hours to spare before the nightly backup begins, which will solidify my work!

Really for me, the best part of Caddy is the automated certificates. I had to set those up in Truenas before, which really isn’t that hard, but took some time to figure out and get working. Now all of that learning is a bit of a waste, but at least it taught me the process of what Caddy is doing in the background. Just amazing software really… you can tell the people behind Caddy tried hard to make it as logical as possible, and I love it!

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for sharing that experience! It helps us to know where people are coming from and how to make the software better. So glad to hear it.

1 Like

The biggest problem I had was lack of robust examples in the guides. I believe others have expressed this as well. I loosely understood the structure, as I had played with Nginx in the past, but it took trial and error to get the bracketing right when you have multiple inputs in the caddyfile for a given domain.

Once I had a working caddyfile on my home server, i copied the formatting to the remote server and changed the domains/ip’s accordingly. That went like a breeze. I did need to do ‘caddy fmt --overwrite’ every time I made a new entry for some reason, but no big deal there.

1 Like

You don’t have to, that just emits a warning that the Caddyfile isn’t formatted. Warnings are not errors. You can ignore that if you prefer. But typically it’s because you used spaces instead of tabs for indentation.

I did not know that. Good to know!! And yes, I watched silicon valley and use spaces as malicious compliance :wink:

I registered just to pile on here as well.

Migrating to caddy was the easiest, most straight forward foray into a new ecosystem that I’ve done in a very long time.

I migrated from a 70 line config file plus a handwritten systemd service to run certbot to 7 lines of caddyfile! Thank you!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! :raised_hands: Thanks for joining and sharing that!

1 Like

So glad this turned out into a thread :smile_cat:

2 Likes