New to caddy, how to setup php on macos

1. Caddy version (caddy version):

2. How I run Caddy:

Caddyfile in a dir above my apps dirs. Start via command line.

a. System environment:

Macos 10.15.7 Catalina

b. Command:

caddy start

c. Service/unit/compose file:

none

d. My complete Caddyfile or JSON config:

file_server
# that's it!  I don't know how to do anything else yet.

3. The problem I’m having:

I am trying to figure out how to use php with caddy on Macos.

My apps are all simple web pages run on my local network, html + js + php. No public domain. Using Firefox or Chrome.

I’m trying to migrate from MAMP(Apache) to Caddy.

Pure html+js apps run fine but I can’t figure out how to connect caddy to php. (PHP 7.4.2 (cli) (built: Feb 17 2020 12:56:02) ( NTS )) That php was from the MAMP installation, but I don’t care what php I use, if there’s a way to get one that works with Caddy.

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

No errors, but the html access to php gets no reply, of course.

5. What I already tried:

I just spent two hours reading every post containing ‘php’ but none seem to relate to Macos environments. I did try putting bare “php” in the Caddyfile, but that caused:

2020/12/30 17:43:42.973 INFO    using adjacent Caddyfile
reload: adapting config using caddyfile: Caddyfile:3: unrecognized directive: php

… which is unsurprising.

6. Links to relevant resources:

none

Welcome Lawrence,

It’s as easy as this example in our documentation:

php_fastcgi 127.0.0.1:9000

(Which OS you use doesn’t really matter.)

Just replace the 127.0.0.1:9000 with the address of your php-fpm listener.

I am very grateful for the response but I have to admit, I have no idea what you mean by php-fpm listener. I just tried literally what you sent, ```
php_fastcgi 127.0.0.1:9000

and the page responded with a 502 error, bad gateway.

Is there somewhere I could read to learn about php-fpm listener?

Sorry for my ignorance, I've been using Apache for a decade without ever understanding what it did.

Apache mostly uses a technology called mod_php which, as far as I know, it’s just useful for Apache, and the rest of servers (Nginx, Caddy, etc) use something called PHP-FPM.

I don’t have experience with MacOS but this article should help:

From what I understand, you can do:

brew install php@7.4  # or 7.3...
brew services start php

Then it should work (I think PHP-FPM on MacOS defaults to listening on 127.0.0.1:9000 instead of Unix sockets).

That 502 error you are getting is because there’s no PHP-FPM running at the specified address, so it can’t connect to it.

1 Like

I very much appreciate the help! I installed a fresh php (php 8.0 actually) and it started php-fpm as you described. So I am now able to run php via Caddy! So far this seems like a much easier migration compared to node.js. Thanks again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.