2. How I run Caddy:

systemd
● caddy.service - Caddy HTTP/2 web server

a. System environment:

Debian 10
SystemD
VM behind firewall

3. The problem I’m having:

Documentation states LetsEncrypt and fallback to ZeroSSL “by default” but how would I go about to configure let’s say: BuyPass, then ZeroSSL and then LE for fallback?

Also, it seems whenever you select the issuers/cert_issuer, you have to specify an API key for ZeroSSL but not when you specify the acme_ca as an URL, which seems to be a tad counter intuitive.

This was just asked:

Configuring multiple issuers is the same as before when you only configured one, except that you can now have more than one. (This PR has an example: caddytls: Support multiple issuers by mholt · Pull Request #3862 · caddyserver/caddy · GitHub)

Our wiki article explains multiple ways to configure ZeroSSL:

An API key is not required. The syntax indicates it is optional: tls (Caddyfile directive) — Caddy Documentation

The many linked resources should help you out, including the syntax for configuring issuers (I assume you’re using the Caddyfile; if not, you can find similar help in our JSON structure docs).

Something like this:

tls {
    issuer acme {
        dir https://api.buypass.com/acme/directory
    }
    issuer zerossl  # could alternatively use "issuer acme ..." with ZeroSSL directory endpoint
    issuer acme # current default is LE; hard-code dir endpoint to force that
}

In an upcoming patch release (probably) you’ll be able to roll that first one into a single line: issuer acme https://api.buypass.com/acme/directory.

That’s what I thought, but I got tripped up with a deploy script that kept forcing 2.2.1 behind my back on me when I thought (and checked initially) I had 2.3.0 installed. The APIkey is needed for cert_issuer zerossl on 2.2.1 but not in 2.3.0!

So this below would be “forcing” the order as it is/was defined, correct? Was not that clear for me in the documentation, even though I went through the linked references before I posted and asked.

Perhaps adding a “priority” field might make it more clearer, especially for cases like: “first try this issuer, then load balancer/round-robin these and last case try this issuer”.

It’s just in the order you list them; no need for a priority parameter.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.