Looking to evaluate Caddy - need support for OpenTelemetry and Service Discovery via Consul

Hi all,

Pretty much what the title says.

At the moment, I’m using Traefik for TLS/LB duties, with service discovery via Consul, TLS via the DigitalOcean LE Provider, and tracing/metrics via the Zipkin configuration.

This is fine, and has worked well until now, however the tracing side of things isn’t anywhere near as good as I’d like it to be and a github issue logged about it was triaged and then left to one side. I’m also not too keen on the whole “pilot” side of Traefik and feel it could be rather intrusive in future, so I’m now looking for alternatives.

I can find reference in the v2 docs to the Consul storage plugin for TLS certs, and that’s something I’d definitely make use of, however I can’t find any reference to using Consul as the backend for service discovery, and I can’t find any reference to tracing on the logs or metrics pages in the docs.

Am I misreading stuff, or is Caddy not quite ready for my preferred setup just yet?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Caddy has support for SRV upstreams, so you can use that for service discovery. There’s no specific support for Consul service discovery right now.

The SRV functionality has a lot of known issues though, but we have PR reverseproxy: Dynamic upstreams (with support for SRV and A/AAAA lookups) by mholt · Pull Request #4470 · caddyserver/caddy · GitHub which is soon to be merged which fixes a lot of those problems.

For OpenTelemetry, there’s also an open PR for that opentelemetry: create a new module by andriikushch · Pull Request #4361 · caddyserver/caddy · GitHub but a decision needs to be taken on whether it’ll be included as a standard module (built-in) or start as a plugin (and maybe later transition to be built-in), because we don’t want to add more bloat to the standard distribution.

1 Like

OK, thanks, I’ll keep an eye on both of those!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.