Let’s encrypt certificate expiring soon with no indication Caddy will renew it

1. The problem I’m having:

Let’s encrypt seems to think my certificate will expire soon.

I have searched and found posts in this forum that seem to either say:

• Caddy will eventually renew those but with no explanation as to why the renewal is not set early enough to prevent Let’s Encrypt to generate the warning email.
  • Change the renewal value or force delete the certificate but, again, with no clear explanation on how any of this is performed.

Is it possible to get a clear step by step explanation on how to solve this?

2. Error messages and/or full log output:

I received the following email:

“Your certificate (or certificates) for the names listed below will expire in 7 days (on 2023-04-09). Please make sure to renew your certificate before then, or visitors to your web site will encounter errors.”

3. Caddy version:

v2.6.4 h1:2hwYqiRwk1tf3VruhMpLcYTg+11fCdr8S3jhNAdnPy8=

4. How I installed and ran Caddy:

Came as part of a Digital Ocean droplet install for the Owncast server.

a. System environment:

Linux owncast-server 4.19.0-22-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.260-1 (2022-09-29) x86_64

d. My complete Caddy config:

I have no idea where this is located. Posts on this forum seemed to indicate /usr/local/etc/rc.d/caddy but this does not exists. Documentation mentions the CaddyFile but I couldn’t find a clear explanation as to where this is located either.

caddyfile is located in the path /etc/caddy/Caddyfile on the system

It’s probably because your cert is now issued by ZeroSSL instead of Let’s Encrypt. Check the certificate’s issuer using your browser (click the lock in the address bar, look at the cert info).

Caddy automatically falls back to another issuer if there’s a problem with the original one. Let’s Encrypt has no idea that Caddy might have chosen a different issuer, so they send an email because your original cert is expiring. But that’s fine.

It’s probably because your cert is now issued by ZeroSSL instead of Let’s Encrypt.

That’s was exactly my case. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

thank you so much ! I was having same issue my doubt is cleared

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.