How Caddy can use Let's Encrypt for local domains?

Hello guys,

Like the title said, I’m wondering how Caddy server able to use Let’s Encrypt on non-exists domains? Let’s Encrypt need to “ping” the domain before provide a certificate, right?

The document here: Automatic HTTPS — Caddy Documentation doesn’t provide information I needed. :frowning:

I’m really susprised about this project, very useful to me. Even I didn’t use it :slight_smile:

Hi!

It sounds like you want to use Caddy to serve intranet sites over HTTPS (e.g. my.company.local).

Unfortunately LetsEncrypt is a root CA and will only sign certificates for verifiable public DNS domains (e.g. .com, .net).

You can still use Caddy for an intranet site over HTTPS - your options are:

1. Distribute your own CA certificate, sign a cert for your intranet domain with it, and configure Caddy to use the signed cert with tls cert key
  2. Use a temporary self-signed key in memory each time with tls self_signed

Check out the Caddy tls docs for more info, and you can read up on how LetsEncrypt works here.

3 Likes

Letsencrypt requires ownership of given entity (domain). You can’t prove that you are the owner of .local domain as anyone else can prove it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.