Hiding my home IP with caddy reverse proxy?

Hello! I’m very new to stuff like this so i’m going to try and explain this the best I can.
So what I’m thinking of doing is setup caddy on a remote dedicated server which will then receive traffic from some machines on my home network.

So what I want to do is open up some ports on my home network, the machines sending data to these will only accept connections from caddy on a remote server(Not in my house/on my wifi). Caddy will then send the information to any client.
I think I can do this with the reverse proxy function and what I want to know is if this is fairly secure or if there’s a better way to do this.
I know I haven’t explained this well so feel free to ask for clarification.

If you really want to hide your IP, the best way to do it is by using a tunneling technology of somekind. Either an SSH tunnel, or a Wireguard tunnel (e.g. Tailscale), or a Cloudflare tunnel (which would let you run Caddy in your home network instead of needing a VPS, but it has some terms of service conditions). That way you’re not opening any ports in your home network, so there’s no way to directly enter the network without going through the tunnel entrypoint which lives somewhere else on the internet.

1 Like

Late reply but, thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.