For automation purposes, what is the recommended way to update Caddy 2 in the future?

1. Caddy version (caddy version): 2.0

2. How I run Caddy:

LXC container running Debian 10

a. System environment:

LXC container

b. Command:

/root/caddy run --config /root/Caddyfile --adapter caddyfile

3. The problem I’m having:

I use xcaddy to build Caddy2 with the Cloudflare DNS plugin. I am wondering what’s the recommended way to upgrade Caddy2 in the future? I’m in the process of automating it with Ansible and I’m just wondering what the recommended practice is - my guess is rebuilding it with xcaddy once every week but perhaps there’s a better way.

You can hook into the Github API to watch for new releases here: Releases · caddyserver/caddy · GitHub

Just to confirm, is there not going to be an easier way for most users to update Caddy2 in the future? Perhaps xcaddy could get a update/upgrade function attached to it, or at least have it be able to do a check on any updates of Caddy2 releases.

Upgrading is not the job of Caddy. Any sysadmin will probably tell you it’s the job of the package manager you use.

(Although, I for one think everything should be burned down and that Caddy should be able to auto-upgrade itself.)

I couldn’t agree more.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.