First requests are slow

I can confirm that I am having the same issue. I am not exactly sure what to provide in terms of logs because nothing is outputting in mine.

Replication of the problem:
Internally to my network, I can access all sites fine with no delays(but this shouldn’t be going through caddy). When accessing sites from external links, subdomains are taking upwards of 60 seconds before displaying anything. After the initial load though, it becomes normal speed. It’s as if it’s “warming” up.

This issue seems to be related to subdomains and not original domains. I can gladly provide any information needed to help with troubleshooting as this issue is becoming very annoying.

My setup:
Host: Unraid Server - Official Docker Container for Caddy
(dual xeon 8-core with 256GB of DDR3 memory)
The docker network for this container is bridged to the host; port 80 → 2080 and 443->2443.

Router: Linksys Velop AX Mesh Network - Hard-line connection to server (CAT6).
Router port forwards 80 and 443 to host’s 2080 and 2443.

Here is my Caddyfile:

{
    http_port  8080
    https_port 8443
}

www.site1.com, site1.com {
    root * /srv/site1.com
    file_server
    encode gzip
}

www.site2.com, site2.com {
    root * /srv/site2.com
    file_server
    encode gzip
}

media.site3.io {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.1.25:8123
    encode gzip
}

blog.site3.io {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.1.25:10001
    encode gzip
}

home.site3.io {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.1.25:8096
    encode gzip
}

All other configs related to caddy are default.

I moved your post to a new topic.

Please fill out the help topic template, which you can find by clicking New Topic and choosing the Help category. You can copy it into this topic.

Please enable the debug global option and share the logs. for some of the slow requests. It should show whether Caddy is the bottleneck or if the upstream is slow.

You can also add the log directive to the problem sites to enable access logs, which contain the request duration.

This topic was automatically closed after 29 days. New replies are no longer allowed.