Documentation for caddyfile

Just a quick question here.

The documentation for caddyfile configurations seems a bit lacking, whereas the JSON configuration seems to have a lot more directives available.

Here’s an example.
If say I wanted to disable automatic HTTPS, to let the backend deal with it. The documentation here doesn’t list a way of doing it in caddyfile.

Is the JSON config capable of more or does the documentation just not state everything?

Just curious to know if I should be using JSON instead of caddyfile.

Our Getting Started guide in the documentation answers your questions about the “lack” of documentation. :slight_smile:

I don’t understand why the JSON reference would be documenting the Caddyfile in the first place.

Yes, the JSON config is more capable and expressive. The Caddyfile can never expose the degree of flexibility that the JSON can. But the Caddyfile works fine for most sites.

For your specific question about automatic HTTPS, you can configure it a little bit with a Caddyfile global option: Global options (Caddyfile) — Caddy Documentation

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.