I’ve been trying to deploy Traefik v2.x for weeks on a Docker Swarm cluster to get a high available reverse proxy, but it’s been a hell so far. It rains complaints about the breaking changes from v1.x to v2.x so I decided to give something else a try -> Caddy.
And finally, we also got the news that HA feature has been moved into a very expensive enterprise version, big bummer
I have read a lot about it so far and want to give it a try, except I would like to have a little jump start on how Caddy handles this whole concept and features (or not).
Can someone help me out with the basic or can share a basic docker compose file to get started?
I’m using Docker Swarm, I have 3 manager nodes and 6 worker nodes so far (the worker nodes will expand further up to about 70 nodes for all the applications I need to migrate)
- I need a high available load balancer
- Need to be able to handle the Let’s Encrypt certs
- We will deploy Portainer afterwards or Swarmpit to manage the docker containers
- be able to run NGINX for some Wordpress website (due to fastcgi caching that is required for blazing fast sites)
- be able to run OpenLiteSpeed for some websites, due to extremely fast LSI caching in Wordpress
- both NGINX and OpenLiteSpeed need to operate in the network while Caddy remains the reverse proxy and load balancer
I was considering Consul to handle the storage of the certs and configuration files, in case something goes wrong that the load balancer keeps working instead putting 900+ applications down.
If there are better ways to do this with Caddy, I’m all ears.