DNS Challenge for several domains & Gandi

Hello,

I apology in advance if this question has already been asked and answered, I looked for information on this forum but could not find anything. Also I might have misunderstood something regarding the way DNS challenge works.

I am the owner of 2 domain names and the technical admin of a 3rd one. All 3 are provided by Gandi.
These 3 domain names are bound to 3 websites hosted on the same physical server and served by a unique caddy instance.

Each domain has its own caddy config file where I specified the provider (ie Gandi) according to this doc: Automatic HTTPS — Caddy Documentation

tls {
       dns gandiv5
}

I have also created a single environment variable GANDIV5_API_KEY in /etc/environment (caddy runs on Arch Linux).

The problem I have is that Gandi provides 1 API key per domain. I don’t know how to allocate 1 key per domain in caddy config file. Can it be solved on caddy side or should I get in touch with Gandy ?

Thank you very much for your help !

UPDATE: according to this page: https://doc.livedns.gandi.net/ (and confirmed by Gandi support) there is 1 API key available that allows to manage several domains

Currently there’s no way to configure Caddy to accept different DNS credentials per domain.

If Gandi support is able to provide you with a blanket API key, that would solve the issue. Otherwise you might open a feature request at the Github repo for some way to supply API keys per domain - but that’s no guarantee it’ll be implemented, let alone quickly, I’m afraid.

OK, thank you very much. At least I know my settings are correct.
Thanks again.

If not many domains are involved, running an instance of Caddy for each domain could be a workaround (presumably subdomains could be grouped with their main domain, at least).

When you say:

running an instance of Caddy for each domain

That means several OS as the configuration of the DNSSEC signing is tightly link to the environment variables.
I suppose I should Dockerize my little architecture…

Can you not simply set the environment variables locally in each process (I’ve done this for multiple PHP instances in my Windows server)?

I need to investigate, I don’t know how to do that with Linux

If you’re launching via shell (script), you can set scoped environmental variables for a process by declaring them immediately before the command, e.g. FOO=bar X=y cmd -flag arg1 arg2

OK, thanks a lot @Whitestrake

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.