Django - serve static assets with cache expire not working

1. Not working: serve static assets with an efficient cache policy

I have setup a Django website with Caddy(2.7.6). All works fine. But when I run my website through the pagespeed test, one of the things it recommends is “serve static assets with an efficient cache policy”, however I have this added to my Caddy conf file. So I don’t know why it’s not working.

3. Caddy version: 2.7.5

4. How I installed and ran Caddy:

I installed Caddy from repo copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:group_caddy:caddy on a RHEL like system. Release 1.el9. Installed with dnf after adding COPR repo.

a. System environment:

Alma Linux 9. I started Caddy via systemd.

b. Command:

So sudo systemctl start caddy & sudo systemctl enable caddy.

c. Service/unit/compose file:

Systemd.

d. My complete Caddy config:

www.example.com {
        log {
          output file /var/log/caddy/example.access.log
          level INFO
        }

encode zstd gzip

handle_path /static/* {
          root * /var/www/example.com/static
          file_server
        }

handle {
          reverse_proxy localhost:3000
        }

@cachedFiles {
          file
          path *.ico *.css *.js *.gif *.jpg *.jpeg *.png *.svg *.woff *.woff2 *.webp *.ttf *.avif
        }
        header @cachedFiles Cache-Control "public, max-age=604800, must-revalidate"
        # header @static Cache-Control max-age=31536000

#route {
        #       header           Cache-Control max-age=3600
        #        header /static/* Cache-Control max-age=31536000
        #}
}

On my Caddyfile I just have import *.caddy and then the above config is on example.caddy.

The @cachedFiles block should cache the static assets. I also tried commenting out the @cachedFiles block and trying the route block below. But the pagespeed always tells me I need to set expire headers.

Am I putting it in the wrong place or am I doing anything wrong?

Is this meant to apply to files in /static?

If so, I think the problem is that this is outside your handle_path /static/*, so the file matcher is using the current request path before being stripped of the /static prefix, and root is not set in the current request context.

Move this inside of your handle_path and it should work, it’ll run after root and after the path is stripped, so the file matcher should correctly map to files on disk.

1 Like

Yes that did the job. Thanks a lot for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.