Different capitalization on Response Headers

Hi everyone, I’m using Caddy in production and now I have a customer that uses a response header that needs to be “sessionId”. Their application is case sensitive.

I realize that a direct request to the backend, will return:
sessionId: a3688a2d-5b20-4d04

but when the request goes through Caddy, the capitalization changes to:
Sessionid: a3688a2d-5b20-4d04

The definition of my Caddyfile for this backend is:

:80 {
  tls /root/.caddy/wildcard/root.pem /root/.caddy/wildcard/key.pem
  log / stdout "{remote} - {user} [{when}] \"{method} {uri} {proto}\" {status} {size} {latency}"
  errors stderr
  timeouts 2h

proxy / backend:8080 {
    policy round_robin
    transparent
  }
}

Is there any way to preserve or rewrite the response header before is sent to the origin?
I found a lot of information about why Headers should be case-insensitive. But I cannot make the customer change their application because the way they use that header from other backends.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for the support!

HTTP headers are case-insensitive; relying on them being case-sensitive is a bug in their application. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but…

The Go standard library standardizes header names. If their application needs case-sensitivity, it first needs to respect the standards and then it can transform the case to its liking after consuming the header.

It’s also worth mentioning is that with HTTP/2 all header names get converted to lower-case, so while header names are case-insensitive they will be lower cased when using HTTP/2 as a necessary step in the protocol (I assume you’re not using HTTP/2 due to it being on port 80, but if you do move to it then it’s something you would need to deal with anyway).

Here’s an excerpt from the RFC: RFC 7540 - Hypertext Transfer Protocol Version 2 (HTTP/2)

Just as in HTTP/1.x, header field names are strings of ASCII characters that are compared in a case-insensitive fashion. However, header field names MUST be converted to lowercase prior to their encoding in HTTP/2. A request or response containing uppercase header field names MUST be treated as malformed (Section 8.1.2.6).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.