Cannot Delegate Subdomain

Trying to delegate a subdomain to different NS servers for GSLB purposes. For example, corp.com is the TLD. It has its name servers defined (local). I delegate a subdomain like gslb.corp.com with different NS records pointing to a different device. Then I create a CNAME record in the TLD that for example maps test.corp.com to test.gslb.corp.com. A request for test.corp.com digs to test.gslb.corp.com correctly. CoreDNS should then pass the request to the external name server. It is not as proven by a network trace.

I am rather sure I have the zone file configured correctly. I can copy it and it works completely on a BIND9 server. It is just that CoreDNS is not forwarding the request to the external name server. I have also tried taking away the “proxy” directive from the Corefile (originally in there to proxy internet requests). Any ideas? Its almost like it is not recursive.

The isn’t a full recursor in CoreDNS. The proxy comes a bit close, but can only forward requests to a real recursor. If you need an actually recursor you should be using bind9 or any other recursor out there.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.