Caddy Community Discord

Hi there,

Invite: https://discord.gg/aUDJKap

Let me clarify that I’m not representing Discord in any way, I’m just an active user and also a certified Bug Hunter because of my efforts in their bug bounty program.

I’m interested in creating an unofficial Discord community for Caddy. It’d not be a replacement for Discourse, rather a community-led complement. Discord is a free chat platform for voice and text, designed for communities of all kinds. Many open source projects lives there.

The Discord community would be a place for people (mostly already existing Discord users, but hopefully also new users) to discuss Caddy, keep track of the latest news, and just hang out. It’d be unofficial and not a replacement to Discourse. My goal is to apply for Discord partnership once the community is active enough.

What are your thoughts about this initiative? I also hope for permission to use the Caddy brand for this project if I clearly state that the Discord community is not endorsed with Light Code Labs, LLC.

Kind regards,
Casper.

Hi @casper,

This could be an interesting way of engaging the Caddy community, I’m intrigued by the idea. There does exist a Slack server for Caddy, but it’s for the developers to communicate with some of the project contributors, plugin authors, and sponsors - not really a public resource.

I’m wondering what your incentive is for building up a server like this, and what your thoughts are on if the devs were to consider an official server instead of a community-run unofficial server?

2 Likes

I second @Whitestrake’s comment/questions. But either way, I am not opposed to unofficial discussion channels. If the community finds it helpful, go for it!

1 Like

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply! An official server registered under Discord’s open source program would indeed be a cool idea if the devs might consider to do so :slight_smile:

My incentive for doing this is mainly because I see the potential in building a community for Caddy, a project I really love because of the many hours of frustration it has saved me when setting up web servers on my spare time.

Discord is a platform I’m experienced and engaged in, and I know what’s required to create a successful Discord community. That’s why the idea of creating a community around Caddy to later get it partnered interests me — Discord partnership would give me some cool perks on the platform as well.

Kind regards,
Casper.

Cool!

Do you think we’d see enough community activity to warrant a Discord partnership? Their community size indicators (FAQ → “What numbers do I have to hit as a content creator/community to be accepted into the partnership program?” from the partner link you provided) seem pretty big for the amount of actual traffic I see across our forum and Github, I think.

Just to confirm, @matt, LCL is cool with the unofficial Caddy Discord server using trademarks like the logo?

1 Like

Hi there,

According to this staff reply on the Discord subreddit:

The numbers on our site are just an average/suggestion of what we normally find accepted partners have.

I think that Caddy has potential to get approved into the program anyway :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Casper.

1 Like

As long as it’s obvious that it’s unofficial and there’s no sales/profits being made by their use, that’s fine I think.

2 Likes

Hi there,

Thank you very much for responding to this thread! @Whitestrake @matt

I’ll go ahead and launch this unofficial community soon, and I’ll be clear that it’s unofficial and no sales/profit is being made by its use :+1:

Kind regards,
Casper.

Hi there,

Would it be okay to post an invite link to the Discord community here, so people who’s interested can join? No problem if it’s not allowed! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Casper.

I’d love to participate in a discord for Caddy as it would allow us to give help and also to chit chat, give suggestions, participate in what could be good or bad for caddy etc. And in real time, so that we could get to know what everyone thinks of one idea someone has.

1 Like

We tried a couple chat venues before but didn’t find much value in them: the knowledge that was shared was quickly and easily lost, and Discourse (which powers these forums) also acts in real-time.

You may post a link here, sure. I might even join! (But I have Discord notifications turned off.)

2 Likes

Go for it! I’ll be there, I’m on Discord all the time for about a dozen other servers already… I appear to be collecting Discord servers… Hmm…

1 Like

Amazing! Here’s the invite link: https://discord.gg/aUDJKap :slight_smile: