Caddy 2: Any plan for a plugin catalogue / distribution / CI service?

One thing I like most about Caddy 1 is that it lists many plugins in the official doc, and I can easily create à la cartes from the official website. Is there any plan for a catalogue for plugins on Caddy 2?

Besides, to better support plugin development, I wish there were some official CI service that keeps building plugins with new release of Caddy 2 and sends mail to plugin authors for broken builds.

The community maintains a list of the plugins they write, here in our wiki: https://caddy.community/t/list-of-caddy-2-modules/7839/1

Why do we have to build a whole CI service? Just choose an existing one of your liking and use that.

The community maintains a list of the plugins they write, here in our wiki: List of Caddy 2 Modules

Thanks. I didn’t know this before. Maybe more exposure is needed?

Why do we have to build a whole CI service? Just choose an existing one of your liking and use that.

Because in my opinion maintaining a healthy plugin ecosystem could greatly boost the quality and quantity of plugins, as well as Caddy’s user base.

For caddy 1, the official downloader acted as poor man’s integration build tests for plugins, so non-developers can also consequently test whether plugins work well with the latest Caddy source and giving feedbacks to plugin devs. In Caddy 2 the feedback loop from a new Caddy release to downstream plugin developers can be much longer due to the lack of official web-based builders, so some plugins may cease working in silence.

A build server similar to how Caddy v1’s worked is planned. CI for it doesn’t really seem viable though. The set of possible combinations of modules is kinda huge and it’s not worth trying to manage that. Just set up a Github Actions workflow that uses xcaddy to build Caddy with your plugin against the latest Caddy release. You could also set it to run on a schedule so that if a new version is released, you’ll know if something is broken.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.