Alternative to "errors" directive in v2

(This is a general question on Caddy’s operation and isn’t relevant to a specific configuration, therefore I’m skipping the template. If this information is still required, let me know.)

I’m migrating a PHP based website from caddy v1 to v2. v1 had an errors directive, which allowed you to have a separate log of PHP errors into the log file configured with the errors directive. (Although I’m not exactly sure, I believe technically these are fastcgi stderr logs.)

This is what my configuration looks like in v1:

http:// {
    root /var/www/app

log / /var/log/caddy/access.log {combined} {
        rotate_size 5
        rotate_age 10
    }

errors /var/log/caddy/error.log {
        rotate_size 1
        rotate_age 10
    }

fastcgi / /run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock php {
        index index.php
    }

rewrite {
        to {path} {path}/ /index.php
    }
}

While translating the above to v2, I wasn’t able to find a similar directive to log errors, and the access logs apparently do not contain these logs either.

So, is there an alternative to the errors directive that would allow me to have a log of errors from PHP? I’m also fine with logging these errors within access logs as long as they can be made to appear in the same log entry as the request.

errors never contained errors from PHP, it was always errors emitted by Caddy itself. Your PHP-FPM service should be logging its own errors.

The relevant reading regarding logging in v2 is this document:

Caddy emits logs to stdout and stderr by default, and you can configure an alternate log writer via global options if you prefer. If you’re running Caddy as a systemd service, you probably don’t need to do this, because you can run journalctl -u caddy --no-pager | less to see the logs.

I double-checked my website on v1 and these logs are in fact being written by caddy, and PHP has never been configured to write logs of any kind. Here’s a sample of logs that are being written by Caddy and they appear to be logged by this line in v1:

02/Jul/2021:15:25:40 +0000 [ERROR 0 /index.php] PHP message: PDOException: SQLSTATE[22001]: String data, right truncated: 7 ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(255) in /var/www/app/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php
02/Jul/2021:20:52:58 +0000 [ERROR 504 /index.php] read unix @->/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock: i/o timeout
03/Jul/2021:09:59:37 +0000 [ERROR 504 /index.php] read unix @->/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock: i/o timeout
03/Jul/2021:15:25:06 +0000 [ERROR 504 /index.php] read unix @->/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock: i/o timeout

The later part of your reply doesn’t seem to mention if this error logging functionality has been kept or removed, so I take it that it has been removed?

Here’s a similar post that also agrees with the fact that fastcgi stderr logs were indeed logged by caddy in v1.

If you’re not seeing it in Caddy’s log stream, then no, it wasn’t kept.

But I might be mistaken, I don’t rely on that functionality, I prefer to log at the app level in my PHP apps, with a top-level error handler.

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.set-error-handler.php

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.