Website bind to IP

I have realized that if I host one site on test.domain.com that is listening on one domain and another testlocal.domain.com that is listening to one of the IPs linked on the server.

So Server 1 has 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3.3.

Now if I portforward port 80 and 443 to 192.168.1.2 which contains test.domain.com I can send a vhost request to that domain and get test2.domain.com even though that is bound to a different IP than the first one. Should the scenario be here that it should not return that domain as it is not listening to that IP? As I wanted now was a local domain that is only resolvable locally.

My understanding is that if you bind Caddy over multiple IP addresses, it will serve all sites on all IP addresses it’s listening to.

I haven’t ever had to do this myself, but I expect you’d want to run multiple instances of Caddy, one for each IP address you want to be discrete from each other.

Thank you I have decided to do just that. As it improves security as well as I can complete block off the instances from each other. I was worried about performance impact but it seems there were no issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.