Server types other than HTTP

If I do implement a different server type, it would be merely for a proof of concept or example, or a very bare-bones implementation for others to build on. HTTP and Caddy core keep me busy enough. :wink: I do strongly encourage anyone interested to write other server types for Caddy.

One user of CoreDNS and Caddy @Jared_Folkins in fact) just told me this week that he loves the consistency in configuring a DNS server and an HTTP server; and looks forward to other server types benefitting from that workflow and automatic, managed TLS.

The Caddy website will be updated in the future to reflect these new capabilities!

1 Like

Hi,

Go continues to eat the stack Iā€™m involved with. I have about 15 virtual servers for this one project with Caddy, Coredns, and Boltdb being a big part of that.

Thanks to @matt, @miekg, @abiosoft, and everyone else involved. I very much appreciate the effort and spirit Caddy (& Coredns) are built with.

Take care,
Jared

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

@matt I think the current interface makes sense (enough). The MakeServers() and Context looks sane. I just need to port stuff over. Looks like I can drop a gazillion things - which is always good.

One thing I missed was some kind of logging frameworks that works within Caddy. The log.Printf("WARN") stuff lacks features (like ratelimiting 'n stuff).

1 Like

Awesome, yeah, you should be able to lose all the stuff that Caddyā€™s internals take care of.

Well if there are any that replace the standard logger (Iā€™ve heard of some), you can use those. Or you can specify your own for DNS stuff specifically, but the rest of Caddy will still use the standard logger.

Oh, and @miekg, should I make that UDPListener interface a real thing in the caddy package so that other UDP servers can use it? (Is it helpful to you at all?)

I think that would help, yes. Iā€™m still not sure I will then do a type assertion and use the UDP functions (prolly) or use the fake Accept().

Maybe leave it for as-is for now. I havenā€™t been able to make any progress.

The UDPListener wonā€™t workā€¦ This is only one of the available packet implementations. Take a look at the net package. It still has Listen and ListenPacket which uses net.PacketConn. This would lead to a werid split where the TCP servers can use a versatile net.Listener and the UDP server are limited to a *UDPConn.

Ah, dang. Would a similar wrapper type work for net.PacketConn instead of for a net.UDPConn? (In other words, we just switch the wrapper type to be for PacketConn.)

But PacketConn is an interfaceā€¦ how do you wrap that?

Iā€™m leaning towards ServePacket and ListenPacket to be added as well to the interface. I can prolly glue stuff back together in ServerNew or MakeServers.

Oops, forgot about that when I wrote my reply! Hmm. :thinking:

Okay, Iā€™m open to exploring this. Let me know what you come up with!

Hey @miekg, just wanted to check up and see if there was anything else that needed to change to make the DNS plugin work before I release 0.9. :slight_smile: I know youā€™re busy but I just thought Iā€™d check in anyway, since there were still one or two unanswered questions. (I havenā€™t had a chance to look into PacketConn.)

Busy and travelling, lost week Boston, now in Zurich. Havenā€™t touched the code once :frowning:
If you are delaying 0.9 because of me, donā€™t (but do make clear this plugin stuff might change).

1 Like

Sounds good. Good luck with your travels!

Iā€™m showing off CoreDNS tomorrow at a conference as part of my talk. Thanks for working on it!

Ah wow. Coo!

OK. update: this new repo https://github.com/miekg/caddy-coredns contains the current work. I needed to start afresh - doing this as a branch in coredns meant I needed to port too many things at once - hence a new start.

This has one middleware: reflect, that will be hardcoded as there is no config parsing. The README.md lists the next steps. The first ones for me will be: get a binary that calls my new code, make the server start up and listen to TCP, get a reply from the reflect middleware.
Only then I can check the whole UDP vs TCP story.

1 Like
% ./coredns -type=dns
MakeServers()
NewServer
2016/07/14 13:46:29 listen tcp 139.162.196.78:2053: bind: cannot assign requested address

Runs :slight_smile:
Do I need to build my own binary still? Or just use caddy?
Also not sure (yet) where that IP comes fromā€¦

% ./coredns -plugins
Server types:
  dns

Caddyfile loaders:
  short
  flag

Other plugins:
  dns.reflect

Also works.
But I canā€™t seem to start the thing.

Yay! Thatā€™s great news @miekg, glad to hear it. :slight_smile:

Just use Caddy! No need for your own main; you can nuke your whole coredns folder I think. All you have to do is import your caddydns package from run.go:

import (
    // ...

// this imports the DNS server type and default plugins/directives
    _ "github.com/miekg/caddy-coredns/caddydns"
)

Then run Caddy:

$ caddy -type=dns

Where the Caddyfile in that directory is for CoreDNS.

As for the IP address that itā€™s binding to, it probably comes from this line here.

Ah thanks! More code to delete.

Yes, found my IP address. Iā€™m also fixing 1 other bug after that my reflect middleware should do something.

1 Like
ServeDNS()
checking for who.miek.nl.
checking for miek.nl.
middleware/reflect: called!

And I see an answer. So whoop whoop. Working :slight_smile:

No letā€™s delete that coredns directoryā€¦

Update: also works :slight_smile:
Calling caddy directly now. As expected UDP does not work. Now I can finally make some head way there.

1 Like