Reverse proxy response force browser to use up-stream port

1. Output of caddy version:

v2.6.1

2. How I run Caddy:

I run caddy as a reverse proxy for internal and external services that are hidden from the browsing user
user → caddy → real service internally

a. System environment:

Centos
systemd

Paste full file contents here.

service.com {

reverse_proxy https://domaina.com:8443 {
                transport http {
                        tls
                        tls_insecure_skip_verify
                        tls_server_name domaina.com
                }
        }
}

3. The problem I’m having:

when opening the service.com, browser will fail with the error message “Unable to connect” and also the URL in the browser URL bar will be changed automatically to “service.com:8443/login”. In order to make it successful request, I have to manually delete the port 8443 to make it “Frontline Digital Automation - ROO.AI” and it will work.

Please note if the URL “Frontline Digital Automation - ROO.AI” from the start was used, it will open smoothly.

5. What I already tried:

I tried to set the port in the up header host header

Please don’t use service.com as an example domain if you don’t own it. Instead, use example.com.

Or better, don’t omit your domain. Domains aren’t secret, and certificate transparency logs list all domains that have had a certificate issued to them.

Omitting your domain just makes it harder for us to help, because we can’t do our own set of checks against it to see what’s going on.

That said, see the docs for how to proxy to HTTPS services:

Doing this, the service should know the original Host header, so it should be able to reuse that when triggering redirects.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply
The domains are named for our internal usage, it may make some team members uncomfortable to see real names, I will make sure to avoid service[dot]com and use example.com

I have tried putting the header up option but still the same problem persists and 302 redirect is sent from the up stream with custom port.

In that case, you’ll need to adjust your upstream app to read Host or X-Forwarded-Host and use that to construct the URLs for redirect.

It is possible to work around it in Caddy by performing a header regexp replacement, but that’s just a band-aid. The proper solution is to fix it at the source of the problem.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.