c. Service/unit/compose file:

paste full file contents here

d. My complete Caddyfile or JSON config:

paste config here, replacing this text
use `caddy fmt` to make it readable
DO NOT REDACT anything except credentials
or helpers will be sad

3. The problem I’m having:

As I mentioned in the Title, I am a newbie and really need Caddy installed so I can use https to access Owncast instance.
I have tried everything I can think of and I am either not reading things correctly or I am just not able to get it working.
I even have a server manager that has tried as well and we just can not get the 2 configured.

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

5. What I already tried:

I have tried multiple things including renting a VPS to install Caddy on just so we would know there wasn’t a conflict.
I am totally out of my realm and do not understand why I can not get this configured correctly.

6. Links to relevant resources:

Hi @brown7477, welcome to Caddy.

I understand it’s all a bit overwhelming. Luckily there are some really dedicted people here to help. I know from experience :slight_smile:

For now I can recommend that you install Caddy 2.3 Caddy 1.x is no longer supported.

Next step will be providing us some more info. From the info you have given so far I don’t understand what setup you are trying to create. You are trying to get a https connection to Owncast but through what?

What configuration have you tried so far?

Perhaps you are trying something that is explained here

2 Likes

My Bad., It is 2.3.0 I have tried.
I just found out I may have another issue.
Owncast will not run on my dedicated server so I may have to abandon the project for now.
What I was needing is to access Owncast using https and the only way of doing that is through reverse proxy.
Owncast broadcasts via port 8080 and it sounds like that is an issue on my server.
I would welcome anyone that is willing to help and get it configured.

If you mean that your server provider does not support port 8080 and Owncast doesn’t allow you to change this, you can try the Owncast docker container (docs) and change the outgoing port into whatever port is supported.

After that you can add Caddy reverse proxy inside a docker container or native.

Just because Owncast listens on port 8080 doesn’t mean your server has to accept connections to it on 8080. You can firewall this port if you like. Then you’d run Caddy on standard ports (80 and 443) and reverse proxy to localhost:8080 to connect to the upstream app from within the firewall.

Running it in Docker is also another way to configure things that would make port 8080 no longer a problem on the server.

The article linked by @Rob789 above:

is going to be very helpful to wrap your head around some of the important concepts. This will be necessary in order to formulate a plan for how your server host (the machine, either your own server hardware or the VPS), the service (Owncast), and the web server (Caddy) fit together; even if you don’t actually set it up within a home network, necessarily. I can’t recommend the article enough.

After reading through that, you can ask any questions you have here, and then you’ll want to start working on a Caddyfile. Once you’ve got something you can share we can go over it, discuss what you’re trying to achieve specifically, and help you get the rest of the way.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.