New to Caddy Server - Looking for someone kind enough to help me [More details inside]

Background Info

I am quite new to Linux, been using it for the last 18+ months. Recently I have got to a point where I am confident installing more advanced software.

I recently installed AirSonic standalone server. (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver).

It runs fine on my local network, but when I try to access it remotely I get a warning that the connection isn’t secure and that I need to add an ssl certificate.

I have done some research and think that running caddy as a reverse proxy would be the best way to secure the connection.

What I am trying to do

As I mention I am new to Linux and installing and configuring Caddy as a reverse proxy is a bit beyond my skills at the moment …

I am looking for some kind person to guide me through this process.

Saying things like 'install Caddy then update the config file won’t be enough, I need to be told ‘run $sudo apt-get …’ then edit the config file by running to ‘sudo nano …’

If anyone would be happy to give me this kind of help I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you :slight_smile:

How to get in contact with you the easiest way?

Edit

I have had to leave the temporary location (originally linked below) - but let me know how to contact you so me can you. Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply @HNRK

I have set up a temporary place where we can talk more.

I am here - [redacted]

Hi @par-four, welcome to the Caddy community!

Looks like Henrik’s helping you out privately? Let us know back here if you get things sorted, or if you don’t and need any additional help :slight_smile:

Hello @Whitestrake,

Thank you for the welcome to the forum, it’s very appreciated.

I never heard back from @HNRK.

I haven’t made any progress with using caddy as a reverse proxy, could you please help me?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Sure.

A really, really quick guide to get a proxy to AirSonic from… well, nothing:

1. Grab Caddy
    Browse to Download Caddy, optionally configure extra plugins or specify telemetry, scroll down and copy the one-step installer script (bash). Run that command in your terminal on Linux.

2. Forward ports
    Go to your router and make sure ports 80 and 443 are pointed at your Caddy host.

3. Note your AirSonic URL
    While you’re tooling around with your internal network, note down the hostname (probably the IP address) and port of your AirSonic server when accessed internally.

4. Add DNS records
    Go to your DNS provider and add records that point to your Caddy host’s external IP address.

5. Make a Caddyfile
    A simple Caddyfile with Automatic HTTPS and a reverse proxy to AirSonic looks like this: (Replace “airsonic” with the hostname/IP that your AirSonic server listens on, and “:8080” with the appropriate port.)

yourdomain.example.com
proxy / airsonic:8080
  1. Run Caddy
    From the command line, just run caddy -conf /path/to/caddyfile, replacing the path as appropriate (I recommend you put your Caddyfile at /etc/caddyfile). If there’s any problems - Caddy will tell you what the issues are now. If there are no problems, Caddy will output the list of URLs and start waiting for connections (success!). In case of problems, paste output here.

2. If it works, configure it to run as a service
    Assuming you use systemd, there’s a good guide here (ignore the part about moving the Caddy binary, because that’s already set up via the install script): https://github.com/caddyserver/caddy/tree/master/dist/init/linux-systemd

Leg it back here and holler at us if you get caught up at any step.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.