Make caddy pass on an existing x-forwarded-for header

1. Caddy version (caddy version):

v2.2.1 h1:Q62GWHMtztnvyRU+KPOpw6fNfeCD3SkwH7SfT1Tgt2c=

2. How I run Caddy:

With docker behind an existing reverse-proxy / application gateway.

a. System environment:

docker

b. Command:

docker

d. My complete Caddyfile or JSON config:

:443

log {
  output stdout
  format json
  level info
}

tls /var/run/server.crt /var/run/server.key

reverse_proxy backend:80 {
  header_up X-Forwarded-For {header.X-Forwarded-For}
}

3. The problem I’m having:

I run caddy behind a reverse-proxy/ application gateway. How can I make caddy “trust” the existing X-Forwarded-For and pass it on the backend?

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

Backend doesn’t get the original X-Forwarded-For header but the one generated by caddy (which is wrong, as it contains the first proxy/ application gateway ip).

5. What I already tried:

I tried to pass on the existing X-Forwarded-For header from the first proxy. Instead of the syntax used in the copied Caddyfile I also tried with “{http.request.header.X-Forwarded-For}”

6. Links to relevant resources:

Unfortunately none

That’s correct actually, that’s how the header is meant to work. It’s supposed to be a comma separated list of all the proxies the request went though.

I would call that a bug with your backend rather than a problem with Caddy.

@matt is this something we should support?

Thank’s for you quick reply. I didn’t check if caddy actually overrides the header or appends its client’s ip. Anway, I want/ need to have Caddy transparent to the application, so it should be possible to make it not change the X-Forwarded-For header.

BTW: I think caddy needs to override the header, otherwise it’d be open for spoofing. Other servers allow to specify a list of trusted networks, from which they don’t override the header and pass it on.

But why? Caddy’s behavior is correct.

Ok, I finally managed to get the backend application to figure out the correct client IP even when there are multiple ips in the x-forwarded-for header. Thanks for your support :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.