Let's Encrypt Certificate revoked but not renewed

Can you indicate where I might find the certificate in Caddy’s storage? Is there a default folder I can look in?

Depends how you’re running Caddy. But in general: Conventions — Caddy Documentation

1 Like

Thank you!

Do I delete all 4 files?

And if I can put in a request for Caddy devs, having a specific command to do this would be pretty nifty!

You can delete the whole directory for that domain.

We don’t really want to make it easy, on purpose. This is an extraneous circumstance, and Caddy should automatically recover from this.

But testing for OCSP revocation events is very difficult in code, so bugs happened. And it happens very infrequently because generally CAs do their job well.

1 Like

I wanted to force a renewal by deleting a certificate, but I can’t find where they are - they’ve moved!

I am on Windows, and the certs have always been in %AppData%\Caddy. That location still has certificates, but they are all out of date - they appear to date back to before I installed Caddy v2.4.5 last November.

But Caddy is serving current and up-to-date certificates, which must be stored somewhere else; however, I can’t find them on the disk!

Another reason I want them is because I copy the certificate for my mail server from Caddy (where the webmail is proxied through) to the mail server (where it is used for SMTP and IMAP), and this process has now failed because of the change.

Paul

@pwhodges when you run Caddy with caddy run, use the --environ flag, which will have Caddy print its environment to the logs before starting up. You’ll find the path to the storage location in there. The storage location is entirely dependent on how you’re running Caddy.

Thank you for all your help!

“You can delete the whole directory for that domain.”

I’m confused about which directory is the directory for the domain. That is the directory where those 4 files are.

That’s the dir for the local CA that Caddy provisions when you use tls internal. Those are your publicly trusted certs/keys. Those would be in caddy/certificates/...

After some time I have a solution for this problem.

If you are under linux:

find / -type d -name "*caddy*"

My output was (and many more):

/root/.local/share/caddy
/var/lib/caddy/.local/share/caddy

Deleteting the certificates in /root/.local/share/caddy/pki... did not solve my problem.

So I went through all of those folders and searched for other certificates until i found them in /var/lib/caddy/.local/share/caddy/certificates/acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org-directory/.
I deleted all of them and restarted the caddy service. Caddy created new certificates for all my domains.

Feature Request
A new function called --renew to force renewing all of the certificates would be really nice.

1 Like

Well, I have Caddy running as a service, and I presume that simply running “Caddy environ” would give the appropriate answer in this instance; that showed that I am looking in the correct place.

However, all my certificate files in that location are either expired, or will expire in about a week - but all my web sites are being served with valid and up-to-date certificates.

I have also searched the whole disk for certificates, and can only find these old ones; I even deleted one (for an unimportant site), and this had no effect. This is so weird I can only think I’m doing something unutterably stupid.

The date of the newest certificate I can see is the date I finished moving my web sites from an old server running Caddy v1 to a new one with Caddy v2. But the old one is now switched off and disconnected, so that can’t be anything to do with it.

Paul

No, running caddy environ will show the environment for your current user, not the user under which Caddy runs.

The caddy run command has an --environ flag which makes Caddy print out the environment in the logs when it starts up. You might need to scroll up a bunch in your logs to find when Caddy started up. The storage location will be written there.

I couldn’t persuade Caddy to tell me anything when running as a Windows service. But that reminded me that the service is running under the “Local System” account, not a user at all. Application to Microsoft documentation showed me that Caddy’s app data in these circumstances is stored in:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Caddy

As access there is restricted, my search didn’t penetrate there for me to find. As I said, I was being stupid - but yet, this information might be useful to someone!

It may be that my scheduled batch file for copying the certificate might not have access there - but it happens, by a big coincidence, that today there was a new release of my mail server that can for the first time get and renew its own certificate from Let’s Encrypt. It even appears that the way my programs are arranged, Caddy and the mail server can each get and renew a certificate for the same URL without any conflict, so my batch file is retired!

Paul

How did you set up the service? You can follow these instructions (and add --environ to the <arguments> there):

I’m using nssm. I couldn’t persuade it to capture the output anywhere (e.g. by specifying “>capture.txt”). I had simply forgotten that Windows services have no access to the standard input, output, and error streams anyway; programs intended to run as Windows services need to be programmed taking account of that if such output is wanted, which is one reason (another is the lack of signals) why programs designed for Linux in the first instance are so often somewhat poorly adapted to Windows.

Paul

That’s not true, you can configure nssm to write stdout and stderr to files. Use the nssm GUI and you’ll see.

FWIW, the revocation-related issues in CertMagic have been fixed:

(Although, since no other ACME client that I know of even tries to replace revoked certificates automatically, it’s more like… a feature that was half-baked as a party trick should now be more reliable in more intense use cases. :man_shrugging: rather than “fixed” – now a first-class feature.)

Caddy’s next tag, probably 2.5 beta or RC, will have this.

2 Likes

You’re the man, Matt :party:

2 Likes

Anything to do with what is mentioned here?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.