3. The problem I’m having:

i just bought a domain and dont know how to host my website on it

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

no

5. What I already tried:

idk

6. Links to relevant resources:

http://nobuildersnotools.tk/

Hi @cjGuitarHero, welcome to the Caddy community!

To successfully make use of Caddy you’re going to need a solid foundational understanding of web technologies.

You might want to look at some guides online - like one of these two:

How Web Servers Work | HowStuffWorks
Common questions - Learn web development | MDN

You’ll want to familiarize yourself with how domains and the DNS system work as well as some of the basics on how the internet works (IPs, ports, firewalls, etc). You’ll also want to be comfortable with the command line (Either CMD or PowerShell on Windows). This knowledge will be useful (often critical) to fully understanding the Caddy documentation.

You mentioned your Caddy version is v1.0.4, but this is now old and will not be receiving updates in future. I recommend using and learning Caddy v2, which is essentially an entirely new program (although it has a lot of familiar functionality from v1).

Here is the link to that documentation for v2, where you can start learning about what Caddy is and what it can do: Welcome — Caddy Documentation

The Caddyfile docs are likely to be particularly useful for you, with an overview and links to quick-starts and as much in-depth documentation as you need: The Caddyfile — Caddy Documentation

2 Likes

Hey! I just finished getting Caddy set up to allow for custom domains on WeBase [1]. It honestly sounds like you need a higher level platform to host your site.

I am happy to help you get it running on WeBase or you could use a number of other platforms for hosting websites.

But unless you are comfortable with a command line and tools like Linux I wouldn’t recommend trying to use Caddy (as AWESOME as Caddy is you do need a significant amount of technical skill to use it… just like any webserver).

–harris

p.s. I am looking forward to writing up my experience setting up Caddy for WeBase. It was not easy but definitely worth it to get all the power Caddy has to offer!

[1] https://www.webase.com

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.