b. Command:

paste command here

c. Service/unit/compose file:

paste full file contents here

d. My complete Caddyfile or JSON config:

paste config here, replacing this text
DO NOT REDACT anything except credentials

3. The problem I’m having:

Not having problem (yet). I just came across Caddy learning to build a new server/stack at GCP to host my old php site (currently on php5.6) and was trying to figure out how to make the server https ready (I have since realised its done on site by site basis - pls correct me if wrong) - then ran across Caddy. Well it looks so cool I could not resist seeing if I can use it as I hate doing https certificates every year as I forget how its done each time.

I have installed LAMP with Webmin (no site on it yet) but got Apache test page;

Q1: Do I need to uninstall Apache to use Caddy or can I run it ‘on top’/instead of Apache? In other words - does Caddy re-write all the Apache settings or will it create it’s own environment/files/settings and I can go back to my Apache if my old site does not run on Caddy?

Q2: being novice I would like to install Virtualmin (I already installed Webmin) to manage my files/domains - but do control panels mess up Caddy configuration if I edit things in Webmin or Virtualmin? Or do these programs work fine along side each other even if they don’t ‘see’ each other in their interfaces? I don’t quite see how panels would work with Caddy or Apache servers generally.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

5. What I already tried:

I have been reading for 2 weeks and reading about Caddy 2 days but cannot find the answer to this - I imagine as most folks are not as novice as me with servers/Apache etc.

6. Links to relevant resources:

Q1: Do I need to uninstall Apache to use Caddy or can I run it ‘on top’/instead of Apache? In other words - does Caddy re-write all the Apache settings or will it create it’s own environment/files/settings and I can go back to my Apache if my old site does not run on Caddy?

You don’t need to uninstall Apache to use Caddy, Caddy has it’s own files etc. You just need to disable Apache2 and make sure it is not running, else Caddy won’t be able to run as they both listen on the same ports.

Q2: being novice I would like to install Virtualmin (I already installed Webmin) to manage my files/domains - but do control panels mess up Caddy configuration if I edit things in Webmin or Virtualmin? Or do these programs work fine along side each other even if they don’t ‘see’ each other in their interfaces? I don’t quite see how panels would work with Caddy or Apache servers generally.

I haven’t used Virtualmin/Webmin, only heard about them, so i am not the most qualified to answer this. But they should not mess up your Caddy configuration.

2 Likes

Well thank you for taking the time to reply - you are helping someone seriously struggling to save a website/service here :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask for further help on the forums, We are here to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.