Getting rid of telemetry on old Caddy

I’m still running Caddy 0.11.5. I am guessing with this binary there is no way it is not going to try to contact the nonexistent telemetry servers… What is the most painless / easy / failsafe way to either upgrade caddy or to mitigate the calls to telemetry.caddyserver.com?

1. Caddy version (caddy version):

Caddy 0.11.5 (non-commercial use only)

2. How I run Caddy:

caddy -agree -log /var/log/caddy/caddy.log -email peter@passchier.net -conf /etc/caddy/Caddyfile -root /var/www/none -disabled-metrics all -pidfile /var/run/caddy.pid

a. System environment:

Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

b. Command:

caddy -agree -log /var/log/caddy/caddy.log -email my@nonspammed.mail -conf /etc/caddy/Caddyfile -root /var/www/none -disabled-metrics all -pidfile /var/run/caddy.pid

3. The problem I’m having:

It seems from the log that in spite of -disabled-metrics all the non-existing telemetry servers are still being contacted.

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

2020/06/15 10:48:24 [ERROR] Sending telemetry: Post https://telemetry.caddyserver.com/v1/update/870f61da-5920-4531-a7b7-d35f4db916e1: dial tcp: lookup telemetry.caddyserver.com on 8.8.8.8:53: no such host

5. What I already tried:

Telemetry has been a no-op for almost a year now. If all you’re interested in is getting rid of those log entries (I would say, just ignore them, but), telemetry is disabled by default depending on how you got Caddy. You can disable it by setting this to false:

1 Like

Thanks Mat for these pointers.

I know, I haven’t kept upgrading/renewing my caddy binary, afraid of breakage… Ignoring the log entries is a real option (that’s the path I’ve walked for more than a year I think). It’s funny, I am usually very against these telemetry things, but you ‘sold’ it so well that I thought I’d give it a try (also thinking it would be helpful to the caddy ecosystem).

So (re)building caddy 0.11.5 is the word?

Now I need a few plugins, forgot what they were, caddy plugins on the old binary gives way more than I need… [Looking at my Caddyfile, I might only really need the markdown plugin.] Ideally I should make a new/separate github repo so once I’m all setup I can do go get github.com/specialrepo/caddy with the modules all setup too.
I’m using go1.13.1 so that should make some things easier than they used to be.

Maybe I’ll keep ignoring the telemetry calls for now, and properly upgrade to caddy v2 when I find this amount of time to devote to it.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.