Could not get certificate from issuer / too many failed authorizations recently

1. The problem I’m having:

Using a Docker-compose caddy, i have the error :slight_smile:
could not get certificate from issuer
with
HTTP 429 urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited - Error creating new order :: too many failed authorizations recently: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/failed-validation-limit/

2. Error messages and/or full log output:

Docker-compose logs

caddy              | {"level":"error","ts":1701686952.3805563,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"could not get certificate from issuer","identifier":"xx.xxcom","issuer":"acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org-directory","error":"HTTP 429 urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited - Error creating new order :: too many failed authorizations recently: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/failed-validation-limit/"}

3. Caddy version:

v2.7.5

4. How I installed and ran Caddy:

System environment:

Ubuntu 22
Docker-compose

Complete Caddy config:

docker-compose.yalm

caddy:
    image: caddy:latest
    container_name: caddy
    ports:
      - "80:80"
      - "443:443"
    volumes:
      - ./Caddyfile:/etc/caddy/Caddyfile
      - caddy_data:/data
      - caddy_config:/config
    networks:
      - opereplay-net
    environment:
      - ACME_AGREE=true # Agree to Let's Encrypt Subscriber Agreement
      - CADDY_DOMAIN=xx.xx.com
    restart: on-failure

Caddyfile

{$CADDY_DOMAIN} {
    reverse_proxy nginx-openreplay:80
}

5. Links to relevant resources:

This docker come from Openreplay github : GitHub - openreplay/openreplay: OpenReplay is developer-friendly, self-hosted session replay.
I try to install it locally

I’m a beginner with caddy and look like a common mistake thx for your help

You can remove this, it was only relevant for Caddy v1. With v2 simply using Caddy is implicit agreement.

Do you actually have a space in your Caddyfile before your domain, or is that just a copy-paste mistake? Remove the space.

The error is pretty self explanatory. If you tried to issue a cert too many times recently, then they’ll start blocking your IP for a short time.

You didn’t share enough of your logs for us to know what’s going on. A single log doesn’t show the full picture.

What did you do before you got to this point? That’s what matters here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.