CENTOS 8 installation on GCP instance April 2020

See the latest instructions here: @caddy/caddy Copr

As of April 2020:

$ yum-config-manager --add-repo https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/caddy/caddy/repo/epel-7/group_caddy-caddy-epel-7.repo

$ yum install caddy

Herewith my supporting evidence (apologies for original omission):

Howdy Hendrik,

There are a few things going on here. We just added our first CentOS 8 build yesterday, and hadn’t updated the installation instructions yet (they are now). You shouldn’t expect the CentOS 7 instructions to work on CentOS 8. The yum-utils package exists on CentOS 8 for compatibility, but yum functionality on CentOS 8 is a wrapper for dnf, the same package manager used in Fedora. You can skip installing yum-utils. I can see in your screenshot that you eventually tried the correct dnf method.

2 Likes

FYI I edited your post because it looked partly like a typo (yum-config instead of yum-config-manager) and looked like using the wrong steps. Thanks for following up with proof!

Now that Carl has clarified, I’ll move this out of the Wiki category because it’s clear this was just a docs issue plus a misunderstanding - it’s better to leave the Wiki pages as evergreen content.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.