a. System environment:

Debian 11.3 VPS

b. Command:

n/a

c. Service/unit/compose file:

n/a

Paste full file contents here.
Make sure backticks stay on their own lines,
and the post looks nice in the preview pane.

d. My complete Caddyfile or JSON config:

n/a

3. The problem I’m having:

Can I upgrade from Caddy 2.4.6 to Caddy 2.5 with following experimental commannd in version 2.4.6?

caddy upgrade

4. Error messages and/or full log output:

5. What I already tried:

N/a

6. Links to relevant resources:

Yep, you should be able to.

How did you install Caddy, though? If you installed with the debian package, you can just apt upgrade

I think I installed via Debian package manager, but running apt update/upgrade didn’t move Caddy to version 2.5
Likely the Debian Bullseye (11) repos haven’t caught up.
How does Caddy Upgrade work?

Doh…
Did an apt show caddy and saw Caddy 2.5 was available.

Though apt update && apt ugrade didn’t upgrade the running caddy 2.4.6.

an apt reinstall caddy… seem to do the trick.

If you run sudo caddy upgrade, Caddy will fetch a new binary from Download Caddy and replace itself in-place (then you need to restart Caddy yourself because the running instance will still be the old version otherwise).

Doing that would desync your apt package though, so it’s best to use apt upgrade if you installed that way.

If you need a build of Caddy with plugins though, then after following these instructions for moving your binary, using sudo caddy upgrade is probably the easiest option from then on, because at that point you’re managing your own Caddy binary instead of using the one shipped in the apt repo.

:thinking:

Not sure why. Hard to say. Glad you figured it out though :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.